Since we discovered the issue with Jenica's neck about three weeks ago and initial treatment with Prednisone and then the addition of Gabapentin, Jenica did not progress as expected. She showed some improvement, but not sufficient, so we had her at the neurologist two weeks ago and she found a few items:
- a spot at the front of her neck where Jenica was still in pain and actually yelped when she was pushed hard.
- reduced strength in her front legs. When she was holding onto Jenica's paw Jenica was not able to pull away.
Based on those results she thought that there would be 5 options:
- Disk issue
She thought the last three would be very unlikely, but were still options and that we continue with the treatment that Jenica was on - Prednisone, which we are slowly weaning her off and Gabapentin, which she will probably get for another two weeks. She took some x-rays, that did not show any clear issues, so we reduced her exercise and were scheduled to re-check in four weeks.
However, last week when we started to wean her off the Prednisone we could clearly see on which days she got medication and on which days she did not. She was still fairly good in the afternoon and weekend of medication days, but in between she was not doing too well. Once the Prednisone stopped on Friday she made a continuous slide back. At this point she can no longer lift her head above her back, she does not like to move it side to side, unless it is already down. Her whole body is in a C shape looking from the top, with the front right shoulder sticking out and her right leg taking all the weight.
So we decided to call the neurologist back and move up the appointment. When I talked to her yesterday she was able to give us an appointment this morning to reassess her behaviour. Based on the assessment she recommended either a CT scan or an MRI. The MRI would show tumours (which she thinks are very unlikely) in addition to disk issues, but would have to be done out of house, which would push the surgery to tomorrow. The CT scan is a little more invasive, as they have to inject dye into the spinal cord, but it can be done in house and, if required, they can do surgery later today, which only means one anaesthesia. We left her at the clinic and they were planning to do the CT scan late this morning, give us an update, and if surgery is necessary, continue on with the surgery. She will have to stay at the hospital for a few days before coming back home.
Any good thoughts would be appreciated.
sending good thoughts and prayers
Charlie (foster) and Rocky
Sending all our best to you and Jenica.
Poor Jenica, and you. She will certainly be in my prayers. I hope they can figure out what to do for her.
Poor Jenica Lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way! Please give us an update as soon as you hear anything.
I just heard back from the clinic. The CT scan is complete and they were able to see a large disk extrusion between C6 and C7 on the left side. Which in short means that it was what they assumed, and they will now progress with surgery, which will take a few hours between preparation, surgery and recovery. They will call us with an update once she is awake again. I will update when I hear more.
Prayers for her.
Good Luck with her surgery. I hope she heals well. Poor baby. I am sending good wishes and want to hear some positive news real soon.
Judy and Jack
"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."
"Jack catching a few rays."