Proud of Payton's behavior w/ kids today :)

Thread: Proud of Payton's behavior w/ kids today :)

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

SmileProud of Payton's behavior w/ kids today :)

DH and I are "older"...in our 50's. Our kids are adults and our 2 grandkids are still babies (17mos. and 9 mos.) As a result Payton is not around kids very much and we live in a rural setting. Today, 3 neighbor kids came over and delivered a handmade Thanksgiving card- very sweet. They own a large German Shepherd, so I knew they were used to big dogs, so if Payton was a bit jumpy, I thought they could handle it.
    I asked them if they wanted to play with Payton, and of course they said "yes". Well Payton was jumpy at first, but she settled down fairly quickly. I got little doggie treats and the kids had her sitting, lying down, rolling over, high fiving, and fetching. Payton thought she was in doggie treat heaven with her tail wagging the whole time. And I was a proud doggie owner and now more confident that Payton will continue to be good with the grandsons as they get older. (fingers crossed)
    What kind of success have you had with your labbies and limited exposure to kids? Payton is 3 1/2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Forrest is/was never around kids. Yet at horse shows and when visitors come to the farm he lets them hang all over him. He just looks up at me like "is this OK, Mom?" He's never been the jump-up sort. I can't ever remember him jumping on people!

Lucy
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good girl Payton. We have 6 grandchildren & from the time the were very little the girls have been very gentle with them. It is like they sense they are tiny. They don't see them everyday but they are good when they come to visit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi behaves in a very similar way. She has not been exposed to little kids too much, but my neighbors have 3 kids (almost 2, 5 & 11).

She is so well behaved around the younger two, especially their little girl who is almost 2. She has never tried to jump on her, always takes treats nice. I swear it is like they know.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My sons are adults and have been for as long as I have had Diesel. He had fairly limited exposure to kids when we had a big family party about a year ago. I was a little nervous about how he would react to my nephews 4 little boys (3-11 years old) but he was wonderful. I crated him while everyone was arriving to keep him out of the hub-bub and let him out about 15 minutes after they all got there. He was quite the gentleman - careful, gentle and quiet. He fetched for them endlessly and seemed to know to temper his enthusiasm. These are not "dog" kids either.

I was very proud!

The puppy LOVES kids. Loves them. He was in heaven on Halloween.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wiscpayton View Post
    DH and I are "older"...in our 50's. Our kids are adults and our 2 grandkids are still babies (17mos. and 9 mos.) As a result Payton is not around kids very much and we live in a rural setting. Today, 3 neighbor kids came over and delivered a handmade Thanksgiving card- very sweet. They own a large German Shepherd, so I knew they were used to big dogs, so if Payton was a bit jumpy, I thought they could handle it.
    I asked them if they wanted to play with Payton, and of course they said "yes". Well Payton was jumpy at first, but she settled down fairly quickly. I got little doggie treats and the kids had her sitting, lying down, rolling over, high fiving, and fetching. Payton thought she was in doggie treat heaven with her tail wagging the whole time. And I was a proud doggie owner and now more confident that Payton will continue to be good with the grandsons as they get older. (fingers crossed)
    What kind of success have you had with your labbies and limited exposure to kids? Payton is 3 1/2.
    It sounds like you have a very patient and caring puppers.

Cybil had never met anyone under the age of 15 when we had our first child. She was two when our son was born. She was one of the best kid dogs ever, from the first day we brought him home to the moment she crossed into Summerland.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

justine is offline Senior Member

Yay Payton - good girl!!

Abbey has had limited exposure to kids, too, but she loves them! Abbey is a licker, so I always warn them that she might try to lick them, and most of the time they just giggle, especially if they have their own dogs and are used to it.

I would just be worried about her with really little ones that she could potentially knock over.