Canine glaucoma - anyone had any experience?

Thread: Canine glaucoma - anyone had any experience?

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultCanine glaucoma - anyone had any experience?

Reason I'm asking:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/o...-glaucoma.html

I'm still coming to grips with it. Obviously I've heard of it but never had a case of it until now. I'm looking through links trying to educate myself on it.

Anyone else had any dealings with it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

My old cocker got glaucoma when she was around 15 y/o (she lived til 17 when we decided to PTS). She lost sight on one eye very quickly, and we had to put some special eye drops almost daily on both eyes to prevent them from swelling. Unfortunately she ended up loosing sight on the second eye after 2 years and she got very scared, and that´s when we decided it was time to let her go.

Make sure you put those drops as the vet indicates, clean very carefuly the eyes because the drops are kind of messy (at least the ones we used).

bett is offline Senior Member

jeez. you just can't get a break. is it common with pugs?
    did the dr. have drops or is there a laser treatment (i know my husband had the beginnings of right angle glaucoma, whatever that is, and a zap did the trick)

i hope it works out and isn't a big deal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

moosesmom07 is offline Junior Member

My parents have a 6 yr old Lab/St. Bernard dog that they rescued. She was diagnosed this winter after developing squinting, swelling, and redness in one eye overnight and extreme lethargy (apparently was due to the pain of the eye pressure). Originally, the vet treated her with antibiotic drops but after it didn't clear up within a couple of days, they took her to the university vet and was diagnosed with glaucoma. At that time, she had lost most of the sight in the right eye because of the high pressures for 3 days. They started her on drops in the bad eye to maintain normal pressure, and then some preventative drops for her good eye. They had known that the drops for the bad eye may eventually stop working and would most likely have to remove the eye, since it didn't have any sight left anyways. Just this past week, the drops for her bad eye stopped working -- she developed the redness in the eye again and lethargy. After another trip to the emergency vet, they determined that the pressure was very high in the bad eye and that they'd have to remove the eye to keep her comfortable. She had her eye removed and has been doing great since - back to her normal self and seems much more comfortable. The vet told them that most likely, eventually her good eye will develop glaucoma as well. Sad

Apparently in humans, it is a more gradual process. In dogs, the pressure can buildup extremely fast -- within a matter of hours. If the pressure gets too high or remains high for a long period of time, the sight in that eye is compromised/lost. One thing the vet recommended for her is to use a harness collar, rather than the standard neck collar because straining at the neck can increase the intraocular (eye) pressure.
    MOOSE 5.4.08 and MACK 1.15.12

csblabmom is offline Senior Member

Garth- If you haven't done so already, venture over to Pug Village online. They have pug knowledge (and eye issues are BIG with pugs) the way this board does with Labs.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by csblabmom View Post
    Garth- If you haven't done so already, venture over to Pug Village online. They have pug knowledge (and eye issues are BIG with pugs) the way this board does with Labs.
    YES!!! Thank you! I joined them about 3 years ago. I've been so obsessed with this site & other things, I forgot all about them. One of their moderators was on here only last week looking for Nate & Ari & I still never thought to go back there.

Glad someone's got a brain around here! Too bad it's not me!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Do you have an ACVO (canine ophthamologist) near you? That's who I'd be consulting with. You don't want this to go on too long!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014