Can anybody help me with spaying questions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody help me with spaying questions?

DefaultCan anybody help me with spaying questions?

Alright. At first I wasn't going to spay my baby girl but that was before she ever started 'bleeding' and now that I see what a nightmare it is I'm like "Nope, you're getting it." Because I wasn't ever really planning on breeding her or anything - it just made me feel uncomfortable thinking about her going through that surgery - having been through many myself. Yes, I know, she's a dog, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway - my question about spaying is this. I don't drive and I walk her to the vet. Will she be fine after the spaying to walk back? It's like maybe a mile if that. Also, I live on the third floor of my apartment building. Will that mes her up? Especially with all the ups and downs she's going to have to do when making bathroom runs. I really want her to get spayed now. It's pretty gross. And I thought it wasn't going to be that bad - but it is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

First, I would not spay her till the heat is completely over. The risk of bleeding is higher. As far as walking her home, that is not an option. You will need someone to give you a ride. Your dog will be very groggy. There is no way she can walk a mile after surgery. Could you walk a mile after having your abdomen cut open? She's no different than you are. The stairs will be a no at least the first day home. You'll need help carrying her up the stairs. Three flights is a lot for the first day. As far as needing to go out to potty, she won't want to go potty anyway the first day. Sophie laid and slept and cried a little that first day home. Then the next day, you'll have trouble keeping your girl quiet. When you take her out, for awhile you'll need to leash her and try to keep her from going too fast. They think they feel fine, and you have to work at it to keep them calm. Sophie did great with her surgery, and your girl will too. But you need to remember, she has had major surgery, and she can't do too much, especially the first few days. Also, did you know you can buy diaper type things at the pet store for dogs in heat?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you will have to wait a few months after her heat before spaying. some vets will do it but it is a much riskier operation - I would wait (others will confirm how long - I have heard as long as 6mts after a heat).

No, I would not walk her back from the vet after an operation. Not a good idea. Heck, most of the dogs are still groggy from anesthetic when I go pick them up. See if you can find a taxi company that takes dogs, if there is a dog taxi or if you can have a friend of family member give you a ride back.

As someone that doesn't have a car I will say this - you should have an emergency way to get the dog to a vet should anything happen. A friend with a car, a taxi company, whatever. If an emergency occurs (and they happen) you need a way to get the dog to the vet when they can't walk there. One night I woke up to two fosters that pulled out their sutures and were bleeding. I called a cab and got all three of us to the emergency vet. Had the cab not taken us I would have called my brother. But I had options because I had thought of this beforehand.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Wait to spay her, three months from the end of her season. In the meantime, get her some boy's briefs and put them on her with her tail through the hole. This will keep your house clean. Its not gross, its natural. She will learn to clean up after herself.

Make sure you are watching her every single moment of her time outside. You don't want any one to get to her and get her pregnant.

You will need a ride home from the vet. No questions. If you are near Windsor, let me know, we'll come get you!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Thanks. That' s what I figured about the walking home. I thought maybe they kept her overnight for the surgery that's the main reason I asked. I definitely can find somebody. It's the stairs I had the major issue with.

So - how long does the heat cycle and/or bleeding last? How often do dogs go through them? I've Googled it but can't seem to get a straight answer for some reason. But then again I was exhausted when I searched and probably wasn't very thorough.

And yes - I learned my lesson about having an emergency. The other day she ate this toad around one in the morning. Her mouth started foaming like crazy and I was freaking out. I wasn't sure how bad it was so I didn't try to call my friends or anything not even sure if there was place to take her. So I went online to talk to a vet live and paid twenty or so dollars to do so. He said that she was basically screwed and told me I should hurry to get her to a vet. I was looking for an emergency one near me while I was waiting for his answer anyway but waited for his answer before I called them. After his answer I gave them a call before I called to find a cab company that would take me - I have one that takes dogs for an extra clean up fee but wasn't sure if they'd take a foamy mouthed dog. Anyway - the vet told me that I had nothing to worry about. Dogs over here eat those toads all the time and don't get sick they just get a bad taste in their mouths. Oh - and while waiting for the vet to answer I looked online for the same toads and those sites told me the same thing the vet did about those toads. Looks like they didn't know what they were talking about either. Glad she was alright. I"m already going through hard times now - I didn't need to lose my baby girl.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Wait to spay her, three months from the end of her season. In the meantime, get her some boy's briefs and put them on her with her tail through the hole. This will keep your house clean. Its not gross, its natural. She will learn to clean up after herself.

Make sure you are watching her every single moment of her time outside. You don't want any one to get to her and get her pregnant.

You will need a ride home from the vet. No questions. If you are near Windsor, let me know, we'll come get you!
    I totally agree, its just natural and honestly its not something to die for... I think its more repulsive to change a baby after they do their stuff, yet everybody does it. Women go through this every month...

Just so you calm down a bit... the first days they tend to bleed more, and as the days go by the bleeding usually reduces to occassional spots and becomes a clearer fluid. Make sure to count the days, and from day 10 to day 20 DO NOT TAKE HER OUT or let her interact with intact male dogs. By day 12 usually the bleeding stops and she´s ready to breed ( so seriously watch out. the worse part of a female´s cycle are male dogs, not the girls themselves)

Get some dog panties or men underwear and don´t allow her on furniture.

Female dogs go into heat twice a year. If you want to spay her do it in the middle of her cycle i.e. wait three months from now to do it.

On a final note: NO, you can´t make her walk one mile after the surgery and NO she can´t climb the stairs. Despite what people say about it being a "routine" surgery, just ask any women who have had the human equivalent to that surgery how "easy and routine" was the recovery...

Thanks. I guess I'll have to figure something out. And yeah, I know it's natural but to me it's still gross. It's the blood thing. I have issues with blood. It's not even an afraid of diseases thing. But just makes me ill. And not the fake stuff on television. The real stuff. Even if the real stuff is only on television. It makes me dizzy for real.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Maybe you could get a child's wagon or something to have around in case you need to bring your dog to the vet in an emergency, or something like her spay surgery. I've never tried to drag one up three flights of stairs, though. An old-fashioned baby carriage would work for that, but then you'd be known as the person who thinks their dog is a baby, LOL.

Ha, ha. That's funny.

My friend told me to put panties on her - that's what her cousin does to her dog. And I was like - Man, the UPS guy who comes to my apartment all the time to give me my stuff would think I'm some kind of weirdo. I was like 'I might as well go all out and put a little bra on her too and a wig.'. That would totally blow his mind. Imagine if you knocked on a door and a dog came out dressed like that?

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Thanks. I guess I'll have to figure something out. And yeah, I know it's natural but to me it's still gross. It's the blood thing. I have issues with blood. It's not even an afraid of diseases thing. But just makes me ill. And not the fake stuff on television. The real stuff. Even if the real stuff is only on television. It makes me dizzy for real.
    Then why did you get a girl, what did you think she would do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast