rex

Thread: rex

bett is offline Senior Member

Defaultrex

REX
    quick background:Rex my 10 year old yellow boy that i adopted 8 years ago from a family who kept him tied up 24 x7. they also had a 6 month old mastiff tied right next to him so when we got him, he was skinny. i also didn't notice he had one testicle and straight hocks and luxating patellas. got the testicle removed (after they had to dig around in his abdomen for this tissue that tested as test) and the animal medical center in ny confirmed his leg issues. poor breeding, being tied up, who knows but treat him like a dog and don't throw the frisbee too high.Lots of training and he's a good boy. Current issue: high ALT level. He had this before and i gave him 600 mgs. of SAM-E and in months it brought it down to near normal. My vet isn't terribly concerned, as it's the only level elevated and wants him back on the SAM-E. His breath is also a knock down . We had his teeth cleaned, brush nearly daily, tried the probiotics that are kept in the fridge, and blah blah blah. His breath still is horrid and somehow i think that's related to IBS, which he has had episodes of.
    So, my question is, after doing some reading, do you guys think adding a B vitamin may also help lower the ALT?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I read this in both forums...i went on line to see what it was...and NO where do I see anything about adding a B vitamin...I did see something about using Flagyl.....

Current research indicates SAM-e (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine) may be beneficial for liver problems -- give 200 mg twice a day to a large dog (recommended dosage is 10 mg per pound of body weight daily). SAMe is best given on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after eating (longer is better). Puritan's Pride and Vitacost have the best prices I've found; Costco also has good prices, as do iHerb and Sam-e Source. If you have a small dog, you may need to use the veterinary drug Denosyl, which is just SAMe but comes in a 90 mg size, see VetAmerica for better prices (they also now offer a generic 100 mg version which would be fine for small dogs), though these are not in blister packs and may be affected by moisture. Now Foods also offers 100 mg size. You can also give Denamarin, which is a combination of SAM-e and milk thistle extract (silybin). When giving SAM-e, you should also give a B-vitamin supplement, which is good for the liver as well.

copied this regarding high alt in dogs.(dogaware.com)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have absolutely no experience with this, but I did read about someone giving their dog Milk Thistle in addition to the SAMe. You might do a search and see if that is something you want to try.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson'n'Ted View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with this, but I did read about someone giving their dog Milk Thistle in addition to the SAMe. You might do a search and see if that is something you want to try.
    yup, that's what i just heard too. will go out and get it.

fyi-this is what i found out.
    same-e plus vitamin B plus add milk thistle.