We might have to board the dogs! (aka I'm so heartbroken!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We might have to board the dogs! (aka I'm so heartbroken!)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe might have to board the dogs! (aka I'm so heartbroken!)

We have never boarded any of our dogs, with the exception of our Golden when he was about 5 (so that was around 10 years ago). The current crew has never been boarded ever! I'm so nervous.

We booked a trip to NYC for December 2nd - 5th, and my cousin was supposed to stay at the house with them, but she backed out because she got a 2nd job. Everyone else that would either be able to stay at the house or take a dog for the few days is unable to. So today I'm calling the vet to see if they have availability or another facility that our vet highly recommends to see if they have any open spots.

Soooo we're looking to board and it breaks my heart. Our hotel accepts dogs, but there are already 5 of us staying in a double occupancy room, not to mention the logistics of walking dogs in the big apple...eek!! We might take Molly with us, but that is up in the air. (I'm crossing my fingers for that one)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, feel your pain! I don't like boarding the dogs either. Well, I didn't like leaving them when we went to the neighbors' house for a couple of hours last night.

But they will be fine. We've left the boys for as long as a week, and come back to find them happy and no worse for wear. Just do a little research on different boarders, go and see their setups, and you will get a feel for the best place to leave them. Do you know anyone who can give recommendations?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

a professional, licensed and bonded and insured petsitter is another option - who will stay at your house with your dogs, or will board in their own home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Nancy, I suggested that but my mom wasn't incredibly sold on the idea. Do you know of any good resources to search for people in my area?
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris View Post
    a professional, licensed and bonded and insured petsitter is another option - who will stay at your house with your dogs, or will board in their own home.
    Oh I was so lucky in August to have found such a provider! I didn't need someone to stay overnight but she came twice a day for feeding and play time with my 6 dogs and cat. She left detailed notes for each day (5 days total) and the woman was very familiar with canine epilepsy (Flynn) as she has an epi dog of her own. That was the greatest comfort of all. She spent two hours with me and the dogs before my trip and we all liked her. A LOT!

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain! With a diabetic dog, boarding is not an option for us. Your vet may have an employee (vet tech) who might pet sit on the side. That is what we plan to do (and what a friend of mine does do) if we travel and can't take them - has not happened yet.

Good luck!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

To bad you were not closer..I'd be happy to take them!
    Kim

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

We had to board our dogs for the first time ever two years ago. Our local Petsmart has a "hotel" now and we used that. We were so happy with it. They kept all three together in the same little cubby and we were able to call any time of the day or night to check on them. Every day when we called the staff were wonderful. I will say this though, it was very expensive for 3 for the week. It was $500.00.

What are you going to do in New York? I hope you'll get to see the Radio City Christmas Show. It's amazing.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Try Pet Sitters International, they should have a search engine... asking your vet or trainer might also give you names as well. But do your research - screen carefully, following up on several references. (I'm always surprised at the amount of trust clients give me no questions asked - not that I don't live up to it, but still amazing...)

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Stacy, I use a company called Fetch. I have a Petsitter coming to stay with Dutch and Woodstock (Zena is now going with me, because of the surgery). Zoe always goes.
    Jax IS staying at the vet, but only because he is 3 weeks post-op from TPLO, and I don't want to add that stress to the petsitter.
    She gets here at 6pm and leaves at 9am...close to my working schedule.
    It gives me a great piece of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast