One Eyed Jack's Arthritis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Eyed Jack's Arthritis

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne Eyed Jack's Arthritis

Jack has fallen several times in the last week. When it first started happening I thought it was some kind of an episode. Usually I heard him fall but I finally saw it happen. His right rear foot just went out from under him and he could not regain his balance.

At the Vet's Saturday he made a big fuss over getting on the scale. Leaned against the wall, kept a foot off the scale pad, walked off the edge. He gained a pound. He weighs 79 pounds. His hearing is fading, his eye has a cataract growing, and his arthritis is getting more pronounced. Dr. Russ thinks the arthritis has choked off the nerves to his rear feet. Jack did not feel the difference when Dr Russ flipped his rear feet onto their tops one at a time. Jack never moved his feet. He ended up in a sitting position each time.

While his body may be fading, his mind remains sharp. Hi insists on finding his squeaky toy before going outside or riding in the car. He does not like people helping him without asking. He snorts and tries to move away. He wants to do things by himself, but if he can't he will accept assistance. He usually needs help getting into the van, and up the steps but will try to do it by himself. Saturday morning he balked at walking on the hardwood floor of the kitchen to get to his beans in the utility room. He woof-yipped and bounced from the doorway. I tried to grab hold of his harness handle but that was not what he wanted. He did not want assistance walking. What he wanted was a throw rug. As soon as one was down he stepped onto it and waited for the next one. When he wants up onto the couch he barks. He reminds me when it is time for his supplements. He first stands in front of me with a grin on hs face slowly wagging his tail. If that is not enough of a reminder he starts barking and then nosing me. This is one time he welcomes Buddy's assistance as Buddy will climb onto my lap and start licking my face until I get up.

The vet did talk me into buying Science Diet JD for Jack. He convinced me to try it as it has larger quantities of things that will lessen the symptoms of the arthritis. A 27.5 pound bag of the stuff costs $70. Willing to try it if it will help Jack get around a better. Jack already gets Derramaxx daily and Tramadol twice daily. As well as the Glyco-flex supplement.

Saturday afternoon we bought more throw rugs and I am building a ramp so he can handle the steps on his own if he wishes.

As long as God will let me hold Jack's leash, I will try to do all that I can to make Jack's life worthwhile.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Poor Jack. All I can say is I'm sorry. I am starting to face the same sort of things with Libby, but not that extreme yet. I will be praying Jack has lots of good days with you.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

I have been in your place and I know how you feel. I fully agree do all you can and for as long as you can. Treasure your Jack and when he can not do it any more he will tell you but for now he is saying put the dang rugs down and don't be so slow about it. You da man Jack. God bless you buddy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

God bless you both Andy!

georgie is offline Senior Member

It sure is hard seeing them get old, isn't it. Jack is so lucky to be living with you, Andy. Enjoy each day with him. He knows he is loved.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Have you considered trying Adequan injections?
    They may help relieve some of the more pronounced symptoms.
    What a brave, stubborn boy Jack is....it sounds like you're lucky to have each other.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I feed Homer and Misha Prescription Diet J/D (its Prescription Diet not Science Diet, the ones that are only sold at Vet Clinics). I can´t really tell you if it helps Homer or not (he has ED and is on permanent medication), because he´s also on the meds, but they love it and have awesome coats. Homer´s ED is under control, as long as he doesn´t run a lot he barely limps.

My old Brownie lived to 12 with HD, and it wasn´t HD that eventually took her... Pain meds plus the supplements and with arthritis is a matter of a patience because once you get to manage it, they have a decent quality of life. How old is your dog?

tismom is offline Senior Member

Bless you both!

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the good thoughts for Jack. Jack was a stray picked up by animal control. We think he is going on 15 years old. Thanks for the suggestion of the Adequan. I will ask the vet.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with the Adequan injections. Erns couldn't walk without them. Erns used to be on Metacam which was great, but with his Crohns he can't have it.
    Also I find if I don't keep Erns moving he stiffens up.

Good thoughts coming. It is hard seeing them struggle.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast