Is My Dog Messing With Me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Dog Messing With Me?

DefaultIs My Dog Messing With Me?

Okay - first all found out that Margot doesn't have an urinary tract infection. So - that's good. I've got a new question about potty habits. I'm beginning to think that my dog is messing around with me.

You see - sometimes I know full and well that she needs to poop. One by her whinging to go outside and the amount of gas she exudes. And she has no problem going when she goes.

The thing is that when we go outside she'll pee almost right away and pee here and there afterward - even if sometimes nothing seems to come out. But she will not poop for the LONGEST time. Often I bring her upstairs and then she's whining almost instantly to go out again. She hasn't done it before so I figured it was because there was a new dog next door and she hears him and wants to play. But no - it's because even though we were just out she still needs to go. I honestly think she's holding it so she can stay outside longer. Is that possible? Can they learn to do that? Think cunningly? I know already that earlier after she's done her business - both peeing and pooping - she'll reach the bottom of the staircase and put all her body weight down so I can't take her upstairs. She's learned to do that. And it's annoying to no end. So - I think since she's learned that she can't win that war of prolonging her trips outside she's taken to the tactic of holding her poops.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kb7kuh is offline Member

Well our boy acts like he has to go, goes back and forth to the door. When we ask him "do you have to go potty" he will bark. He is really good about that, but sometimes I think he fakes it just to get outside!
    Don & Judy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So you think your Lab is planning all this? LOL!

She probably wants to stay out longer and have some fun and get some exercise. Being outside is not just about bathroom duties, after all.

You need to establish a schedule and keep her out long enough to bit poop and pee. If you bring her in too early, that's a mistake on your part.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ha, ha. Yeah, I really think she is.

Oh - I'll hang out there plenty of time for her to poop but she doesn't. And the gas she lets out is proof she needs to go. Also - after not pooping outside even after twenty or more minutes which I think is enough time - she ends up pooping in the house. Even if I've went downstairs three times in fifteen minute intervals in a fifty minute span of time.

somet23 is offline Senior Member

i think it could happen. stella was going regularly for about a month both pee and poop in the morning first pee then poop a couple minutes later. so she suddenly stopped pooping one day outside. i made the mistake and took her in thinking she didnt have to go poop. needless to say she went inside. next day she did it to me again, shame on me for falling for it again. next day she tried the same routine so i closed the gate and said go potty again and i walked in the house without her sure enough she went poop 30 seconds after i went in then she started on the gate asking me to let her in so i open the gate said good girl and i let her in the house. from then on if she doesnt poop quick i do the same thing and she poops quick and no accidents in house ever since. i think she was messing with me and i one upped her
    [IMG][/IMG]

Yeah, she just pooped in the apartment just now after having taking her out a few times like I said.

somet23 is offline Senior Member

lol. i found a way to make her go. you might have to do the same
    [IMG][/IMG]

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

One of mine requires some exercise to get her to poop; just nosing around the yard won't do it regardless of how much time I give her. Throw a ball for a few minutes, get her running around and see if that helps. If she's sitting around in the evenings then she might just be getting constipated and needs the exercise to get her system working.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

patm is offline Senior Member

That's when a "go poop" command comes in handy. But alot of dogs can't "poop on command" I think dogs are just like kids. When your dog was younger, she had to go more urgently, so she did. But now that she is older, her poops aren't that urgent, and yes, playing outside is much more exciting, so they play. I don't think they "plan" to trick you - they just like to play more, and don't urgently have to poop. My dogs are all different in their habits. Baxter and Skippy were pretty much "poop as soon as you go out", Emilu take much longer , and needs a long walk to poop. If the walk isn't long enough, she won't poop. They are also very "habit oriented" I always take them on a short poop walk in the morning - just a very short trail around the back of the house. But they need "the walk". If I don't have to get up, and my husband gets up first, he just lets them out the back door for a few minutes -the results? - nobody poops, because it isn't our routine, even though they are outside the same amount of time. One suggestion for you - when your dog does poop, don't take her in right away, play a little more. that way she won't associate pooping with having to go right back in the house.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi, 12, is my only one who has trouble going as soon as we are outside. Sometimes, she doesn't go until we go on a walk and mid way, she just stops walking and goes right in the street so I have to carry a bag on walks. I like for them to go in my yard before the walk, but in some areas, I can't always have my way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast