Am I out of line here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I out of line here?

Alex is offline Member

DefaultAm I out of line here?

Hi guys

Every morning I'll wake up at about 6am and let my 5 month old Enzo out along with my 5 year old Summer so they can do their business, I usually leave them there for about 1,5 - 2 hours and sleep a little longer (Its bright and sunny by 5am here...) Anyways, my bedroom door handle has a distinctive squeek and Enzo knows that it means I just got up... so he will go to the front door and whine faintly for a while, if i dont show up, he will generally stop in say 1-2 minutes and carry on with his business... but when i get to the door he gets real excited and whines like crazy until i come play with him... which I do because lets face it, thats an awesome way to wake up So yeah, my mother tells me im *quote* "feeding his dominance" by playing with him when he whines... but he never whines except in the morning, i just figure he's happy to see me, he follows me everywhere and is really a great puppy, does nothing wrong really... He also doesnt show dominance to any animals or humans and submits eagerly to the older Lab Summer... So I feel that if he is happy to see me when I wake up, i should play with him, same as when i get home and such... Am i wrong here? Or is my mom just being a bit silly? She seems to always be trying to find faults with my Enzo, because she never wanted him...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I'd play with him, but hey I'm a push over! I wouldn't leave Sophie outside for 1 or 2 hours, I'd be afraid she'd get into trouble. She seems to manage to find trouble if there's any around! Enzo is probably crying because he misses his people. Labbies would rather be with us if possible. We let Sophie in when she yips at the door. It's the only way to know when they are ready to come in.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

TO me it just sounds like he is excited to see you.

Also I let my dog outside in his run this last summer and someone let off a firecracker and he was missing for 3 days......just something to keep in mind.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ivandegi is offline Junior Member

I face a similar problem at 6am when my 4 month-old wakes up and starts yelping. Before she came into our life, I used to wake up at 7.30 and even later (especially in the weekends). I know that she cries because she wants company, but sometimes I feel that if I go downstairs immediately she will be making sounds earlier. The matter is worse now due to the sun rising up earlier.

At the moment, my wife and I take it in turns to go down and lie on the sofa with her.

Alex is offline Member

Thanks for the replies guys Sophiesmama I think most of us are push overs when it comes to our dogs And Deidra, thanks for your advice, I think were quite well secured in regards to our yard though, none of out dogs have even been able to jump the fence and we've been here for 16 years And Ivandegi, I know your plight! Although i figure that if i take Enzo out at 12am, and then when he wakes up at about 5-6am then he will need to go pee anyways, so yeah, I just leave him there with the other dog, they go play, and my dad is often outside that early to smoke and start his business calls early... As well as the fact that sometimes my other family members who are awake will let him in and play with him Its better than keeping him in my room.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Go outside with your dogs right away and go for an early morning walk or play you lazy louts! Best time of the day, nice and early.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

He certainly does not sound dominant and you are not feeding his dominance by playing with him when he whines. He just wants to see you and he knows you are awake; Champ does the same thing when he knows Bill is awake but hasn't come out of the bedroom in the morning. No big deal, they are just excited!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

somet23 is offline Senior Member

i get up at 4 a.m. and play with stella every morning before i got to work. she became my alarm clock
    [IMG][/IMG]

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The problem with people who latch onto dominance theory is that they see dominance as the motivating principle behind just about everything the dog does.

Your mom is wrong. This is normal social dog behavior.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

Your dog likes you, knows you're up, and wants to see you. If he could say 'hey, come play with me', he would. He can't, so he whines to let you know he's there and he's not happy with the current situation. Not every need a dog has is food or medical care. Dogs are social animals that like their people; that means you get to get up earlier than you'd like and throw a ball in the yard for a while.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast