asking for a quality food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: asking for a quality food

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaultasking for a quality food

hello all,

I have a 3 months old female lab and her food is about to finish and I would like to get her a real good food because she is growing and to have a good health.

What I'm using now is called "Imagine" - Visan and it says Super Premium. It has chicken and rise. Yesterday I went to a pet shop and I showed them the bag I have and they told me they have never seen that kind of food. They think it came to the local market lately and it's among the cheapest food. So it might be not good quality.

A friend of mine told me not to get royal canin because it's not a super premium food. But royal canin is the only brand who makes food for every breed. E.g. They have food for labs.

I don't know why, but I have the impression that Hill's is better quality than royal canin.

Since you are more experts from me and you've been through this before I'd appreciate it if you suggest me a good quality food for my pup.

I've read that it's good for the dog to change his food every 3-4 months with different ingredients.

Thank you once again.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Here is a link that is a dog food review. There are several sites to chose from, but I like this one best. They have most dog foods listed alphabetically and explain what is good and bad about them. Then they rank them on a 5 star scale. You do not need to worry about breed specific food. It is a marketing gimmick. You also don't need a food for large breed dogs.

Dog Food Reviews by Brand
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

nicole is offline Senior Member

I hate those websites because it's just someone's opinion based only on ingredients, not results.

I feed and get wonderful results from Royal Canin. I've also gotten great results from Pro Plan in the past. Both of these have "low rankings" on sites like the one mentioned above yet both companies spend millions a year researching and getting results on Labradors, not just "grading" packaging.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

what Nicole said and let's not forget that neither Royal Canin or ProPlan have been recalled unlike the majority of the "higher ranked" foods on that website

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Website's like that show a total lack of education and understanding as to why ingredients are used in food, how they are processed and used and how they are utilized by the dog (or cats) digestive system.
    I now have no problem using or recommending foods like Science Diet or Royal Canin. Yeah those foods are not inexpensive but neither is Natural Balance or Evo. But at least companies like SD and RC are leading the industry in research.
    I currently have all my Labs on a SD food. I might be switching the little guys to the new RC X-small.
    Kim

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

The best thing to do is educate yourself on ingredients. Read the labels on the packages. Go online and find out what some of these ingredients really are. ( By-products, animal digest, chicken meal, etc. ) There is alot of information out there. Then you can decide if you want to feed your pup some of those foods or not. Also, the packaging can be misleading for example: It might say on the package, " Made with chicken, salmon, blueberries, spinach, carrots, etc." If you read the list of ingredients closely, you will see ( in some foods, not all ) that blueberries, salmon and carrots are way down on the list of ingredients so really there is not all that much of those ingredients at all. Read, read, read. Also very important is how YOUR dog responds to a particular food. What might be great for one dog might not work for your's. One more thing, I would not be switching foods off and on for a 3 month old pup. It could cause tummy upsets and diarreah and you don't want that! Pick a food that your pup does well on and stay with that until he or she is old enough to start thinking about rotating foods. Talk to your vet and find out at what age it would be okay to start rotating foods.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I feed Flint River Ranch for many reasons. It is delivered to your door on what ever schedule suits you, no shipping charges, and is an excellent premium food. I can not even begin to tell you the difference this food has made in my oldest dogs overall health, skin, coat ,etc. Maxx, who is 7 mos. Is growing beautifully on it, he has a beautiful coat, a great rate of growth among many other pluses. I do believe what you feed is your choice and would be happy to provide you with addition info if you would like to PM me. Good luck on YOUR choice! I personally can't say enough about this food!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

nicole is offline Senior Member

You feed the food because your breeder gets kickbacks from it.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? That may well determine what is available to you.

My pups are almost 4 months old and I am starting to rotate foods. However, I am rotating between kibble (Nature's Variety), Raw (ground chicken with bones and organs) and Honest KItchen (a dehydrated Raw food, with meat in it). So, I have no problem rotating foods and think it is a good idea to get your pup used to changing foods. It is just my opinion, but the more you switch foods, the better your pup can adjust to changes in his diet.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

first - it is best to do a slow transition from one food to another - so you may need to pick up another bag of what you are currently feeding. labs are dogs first, they do not need their own line of food (just for labs).

you said you got your puppy from a breeder - are they knowledgable? Did you ask why they chose that food? Is your puppy healthy?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast