Bringing home the new puppy question

Thread: Bringing home the new puppy question

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultBringing home the new puppy question

Gracie's lil sister is coming in 12 days...sorry no pic's yet, I have one, but it is too big and I don't know how to make it smaller. My question is...what is the best way to introduce Gracie to the new pup? I have a feeling she is going to be a little rough (play rough), she gets very excited w other animals. I take her to play w my brother in laws labs and we stop and visit a lot of dogs on our walks, but she always acts like she has never seen another dog. I really try to socialize her with other dogs as often as possible. I would appreciate any suggestions on this subject. Thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Can you have them meet outside of your house, in a neutral area? That is what we did. We took Molly & Abby to the breeder's & they played & sniffed each other for awhile before we all came home. Things went pretty smooth at home but when Kate would get too wild I put her in her crate for a little while. Either me or my husband would always be with them when they were out together. Once Molly & Abby realized Kate was here to stay, they all settled in.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Just keep a good eye on them when they're together for at least the first week. Make sure they are supervised at all times. When we first brought Moka home Java tried to stomp on her head...seriously. I thought we had made a huge mistake. Java raised her hackles, barked at her, growled, wouldn't let Moka walk around....it was a bit scary. After a couple of days Moka won Java over and they are the best of friends now...but just make sure to watch them carefully. Java is not an aggressive dog at all, but she is still young too (9 months at the time)and was not happy about another dog in her house. Even now, she does tend to get overexcited sometimes and play rough....but Moka is a little bigger and can handle herself now and it's all just good fun for them.
    We, unfortunately, had to introduce them inside because it was downpouring outside....buckets!!! We would have preferred to introduce them outside...but didn't have much choice!!
    Good luck and can't wait to see pics!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It def goes without saying Gracie will not be left unattended with the new pup. She is young like Java (11 months) and does still get very excited and play rough. I am thankful for the warning of a possible scary introduction and even happier to hear they are the best of friends now. So I won't panic on the first day or two. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When I got Blaise in February (at 8 weeks) I just brought him home. He was a baby and not a threat to my older Lab (like an adult might be perceived). Beyond the usual excitement and too rough play he was fine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

When I brought Barney home, Tal was 20 months. We went to the airport to pick him up, and Tal pouted all the way home (about a 2 hour drive). When we got home, I let them work things out. Barney was crated during the day and they have been best buds ever since that first day. I think they will be fine.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henery met Ollie on Laura's front lawn. Neither of them really paid too much attention to the other, and then they spent the next 2.5 hours together in the car, with Ollie howling all the way home. lol.

Our first two weeks were rough, but after all was sorted out, my boyz have been the best of friends ever since.

thanks everyone for the reassurance that everything will be ok

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

This may sound crazy, but keep telling Gracie that she's getting a little sis. Use a soft excited voice and use words you think she may understand. Get the idea across that this will be something she will love. They understand more than you think. When puppy comes, have the camera ready.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    This may sound crazy, but keep telling Gracie that she's getting a little sis. Use a soft excited voice and use words you think she may understand. Get the idea across that this will be something she will love. They understand more than you think. When puppy comes, have the camera ready.
    It is so funny you suggested that because I tell her that all the time. I am so excited to see how they get along. I really do think she understands all that I tell her