Head is spinning!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head is spinning!!!

2boysandagirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultHead is spinning!!!

I am new here and trying very hard to be a good newbie. In searching for things I want to know more about... now I think I am more confused!

We have two lab puppies (12w brother/sister) and a two year old lab. We were feeding Iams, thinking it was a better quality dog food over say....Kibbles and Bits. After coming to this site and learning about sites like The Dog Food Analysis, I went on a hunt for a better quality food.
    Lets just say that my 13 year old daughter and her friend could have shot themselves after spending 3 hours in Pet Supplies Plus reading dog food labels with me!

Anyway...I ended up going with Back To Basics, a grain free food. Mostly because I was hoping to put the puppies and the 2 yr old on the same food, it states that it is for ALS, as well as one of the top rated foods. However, I was reading more of this site and someone had stated not to put puppies on a grain free food. Now I have no clue if I did good, bad, or otherwise!!

My other problem is (I'm sure I have many that I don't even know about yet)....I want good quality treats that the puppies can chew on for a while. Toys are fine but they lose interest after a short time. They never quit looking for something to chew.
    I really don't want to add a ton of calories or artificial this and that to their diets, so I resorted to tons of ice cubes. They love them! But these are gone in a matter of minutes too! Today, I cut the top 1/3 of a water bottle off, filled it with water, added a couple tiny doggie treats and some peas, and put it in the freezer. I am hoping for a more interesting, less cost/calories, homemade dog treat. How did I do???
    Should I throw it out before giving it to them??

Married 21 years, mom to 5 children, 4 chickens, 2 ducks, and 3 fury Labs!

Surrogate to B/G twins 2007
    Surrogate to baby girl 2011
    Would love to help another family!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

As far as grain free for puppies...we have had Sophie on TOTW since she was 3 months. She has done wonderfully on it. I have not heard that you aren't supposed to put puppies on grain free. TOTW has new puppy formulas that are grain free. When we put Sophie on it, we had to go with the ALS formula since there was no puppy formulas at that time. Our vet actually told us to put her on grain free, so I wouldn't think he would have told us to if it was bad for her. She was having allergies though. Deidra has a lot of home made doggie treats recipes, if you let her know, she'll send them to you. I like the dog food advisor site. I have found it helpful. According to their review, your food choice is a good one. Back to Basics Dog Food | Review and Rating
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't recall the details... Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks, but eating a lot of ice can be hazardous. If you want to give them a frozen something you can stuff a Kong with food/peanut butter/ yogurt/ kibble and freeze that.

Do you have a training plan for each puppy separately? The biggest problem with having 2 same age puppies is the dependency they can easily have on each other (one becomes the leader and the other a totally dependent follower) and also they favor each others company to that of humans. It's more than twice the work of having one.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I thought the only grain free food ok for puppies was orijen and maybe one of the TOTW products.

I echo the above - remember the separate the puppies daily from one another to A - get used to being apart and B - train one on one. Riasing two puppies is more than twice the work of one. While it is doable, it's an insane amount of work. Remember to crate them separately and train them separately. They also need to be socialized separately so they develop their own personality and are able to "face the world" even without their sibling.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I don't recall the details... Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks, but eating a lot of ice can be hazardous. If you want to give them a frozen something you can stuff a Kong with food/peanut butter/ yogurt/ kibble and freeze that.

Do you have a training plan for each puppy separately? The biggest problem with having 2 same age puppies is the dependency they can easily have on each other (one becomes the leader and the other a totally dependent follower) and also they favor each others company to that of humans. It's more than twice the work of having one.
    Oh no! I guess I should read more on the ice then. I was told to give them ice to help with teething, however, never asked how much. I guess I just thought it was water so didn't think it could be too much.
    As for the dependency issue with puppies the same age, would I notice this now? Is this something that will develop later?? Right now they don't seem to depend on the other for anything more than some of their playing. They seem to equally play with the two year old lab as well. Hmmmm
    As for a training plan...I had thought I would take them to their puppy classes separately, they sleep alone in crates (at nap time and bed time), and I work with them each alone when doing simple commands. Is there something else I should be doing??? They get tons of lovin with 6 people in the house. I am home with them all day too.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysandagirl View Post
    Oh no! I guess I should read more on the ice then. I was told to give them ice to help with teething, however, never asked how much. I guess I just thought it was water so didn't think it could be too much.
    As for the dependency issue with puppies the same age, would I notice this now? Is this something that will develop later?? Right now they don't seem to depend on the other for anything more than some of their playing. They seem to equally play with the two year old lab as well. Hmmmm
    As for a training plan...I had thought I would take them to their puppy classes separately, they sleep alone in crates (at nap time and bed time), and I work with them each alone when doing simple commands. Is there something else I should be doing??? They get tons of lovin with 6 people in the house. I am home with them all day too.
    take them out of the house (one at a time) regularly to experience the outside world (not just training class) and meet new people and new dogs and stuff. more often as they are younger so they get used to it early on.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I thought the only grain free food ok for puppies was orijen and maybe one of the TOTW products.

I echo the above - remember the separate the puppies daily from one another to A - get used to being apart and B - train one on one. Riasing two puppies is more than twice the work of one. While it is doable, it's an insane amount of work. Remember to crate them separately and train them separately. They also need to be socialized separately so they develop their own personality and are able to "face the world" even without their sibling.
    Makes sense! Thank you. I certainly do not want to hinder them in any way. They are awesome puppies and have great personalities. Of coarse the are cute, but it's more than that. I can't really explain it. They are nothing like our first lab was as a puppy.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have seen puppy toys that you wet and put in the freezer for use during teething. They don't freeze as hard as ice cubes. Also you can get Kongs and put plain yogurt (not the sweetened variety) or a dab of peanut butter and freeze it. That will take them a while to clean out! My two go through nylabones like crazy also. They spend time every evening chewing on them.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Frozen kongs are great.
    Before I got Tessa I didn't think having one become lost without the other but after a couple of months I can already see Tessa has become very attached to Erns. He is 10 and she is 5 and I am sure she will be lost without him.
    I take her out on hikes (which you can do longer walks later) and spend time with him doing what he likes. I also ask a friend to have one or other for a couple of hours so they get used to being apart.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you are indeed trying to do things correctly!

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I am currently raising a brother and sister (of my own breeding), and indeed it is a great deal of extra work! they are crated separately, trained separately, walked seperately and get as much one on one time as I can give considering that I board and train dogs for a living! It is kind of nice that they get play time together, and get 3-4 hours of free play/running/wrestling each day. certainly takes the edge off!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast