any advice for a 1st time lab owner????????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any advice for a 1st time lab owner????????

jesse77 is offline Junior Member

Defaultany advice for a 1st time lab owner????????

anyone??? i CANNOT get my 7 mos old choc lab to stop pee/poop in the cage!! i walk him regularly, play with him in the yard, and he will still pee in the cage!! am i not disciplining enough?? what am i doing wrong?? how do i correct this ??? i have only had him literally 5 days but i have to nip this habit!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Natalia994 is offline Junior Member

Im gonna stick around to see where this goes. I need this info too

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So you've lost patience with him after 5 days of ownership? House training any puppy, regardless of age, requires patience.

How long is he in the crate without a break? How often are you taking him out to pee/poop? He should be out after every meal and he should be eliminating during that excursion. He should at this age be able to go for 6 hours without a potty break. When are these accidents happening? Is he getting a pee break around 11 at night and then again at 6-7 in the morning?

And you should not be disciplining him for this. It's always owner error when a dog has an accident.

One of the things you need to do with a dog is establish a routine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also, has he seen a vet for a medical check? Could've a medical reason for this. And you need to clean the crate with white vinegar or peroxide or Natures Miracle or you are leaving behind the odor (even if you can't smell it) that tells him to keep peeing in the crate.

But I suspect his problem has more to do with too infrequent potty trips and a lack of routine.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sharon has given you good advice. Also, since your pup is 7 months and you just got him, have you asked the previous owner/breeder what they were doing with him for potty? You may have some bad habits they let the puppy develop that you have to help him unlearn. You need to be patient. How long is he left in the crate? How long after you put him in does he go potty? Heck, for all you know, the previous owner may have used the crate like a litter box. If possible, I would ask them for any helpful info. Never disclipline your puppy for potty problems!!!!!! Praise when they do right!!!! It is up to you to take him outside. I would advise you to leash him, take him out the same door each time, and to the same spot. Stay there till he goes. Praise him when he goes! Also, we used the same command everytime we went out the door. You chose what to say. We used "Sophie, outside". She got it pretty quickly. Now when we ask her if she needs to go outside, she will head to the door if she needs to go.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

my routine is to take him out at 6 for 20-30 mins (sometimes he will not go) then i play fetch w him for another 15-20 mins, then he is in the crate till about 3:30-4:30, then out we go (again sometimes he will not go i.e. today) then feed around 5:30 then back out 20-40 mins post dinner. too much, too little?? any tweaking i can do?? ( i know i need patience as well )

thanks for any tips i want to make this work its just very different having owned 4 pits before this..........

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

So are you saying he's in the crate from 7 am to 4:30pm??? That is 9 and 1/2 hours!!!!! Waaaaay to long to expect him to hold it! You need to get a dog walker to come and walk him in between. So, if I get this right, you take him out to potty at 6am, and again at 4:30, then after dinner at 5:30 or so. Then he only gets to play for 15-20 min in the am and 20-40 mins in the evening? Not nearly enough exercise! Labs need to run and play and they need exercise. Don't you walk him either? What do you do with him after the post dinner 20-40 min that you take him outside?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

i walk him so he can go for example we walked last night for 45 mins after which he still went inside, as far as intervals generally it will be 7:30 to 3:30-4:30 but i can adjust my sched to come home midday, would that work?

Too much crate time, not enough exercise. He also does not have a vote about going out. You take him out on the schedule you create. He needs to have a routine established for him.

And I agree that you need to find a way for him to get out to pee mid day. 9.5 hours is a really long time. I can't hold it that long, FGS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast