class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: class

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Defaultclass

so tuesday when he had his first class he did pretty good except him wanting to dominant the only other dog in the class (golden retriever) who also wanted to be dominant and they got in to a little scuffle. the trainer said the dominance is probably because jayson is still intact, but the golden wasnt and he was trying to be dominant as well so im not sure neutering him will stop that.... my question is how do i stop the dominance problem? hes fine when he is around female dogs or little dogs its just the big boy dogs he has problems with.
    thanks
    Kristin

jayson

laika

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

There are two dogs in the class?

Your dog wanted to be dominant, what actualy happened? How did the "scuffle" actually happen? There is no reason that opportunity should have even even occurred

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

the trainer wanted the dogs to greet on leash like walking past each other. he had the owner of the golden turn her dog around so jayson could sniff him then he had me turn jayson around for the golden to sniff him then he had them meet face to face and the trainer said both dogs were putting there head higher on each others neck and the scuffle happened then because he said they were both trying to be dominant.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Just getting to know each other IMO ! With time they will ignore each other ! Can't see that being intact should be an issue ! Is this a qualified trainer ?

Brette is offline Senior Member

I've got an intact male and he gets into the occasional scuffle if he's challenged by another dog. Neutering will help to some extent because other dogs, even neutered ones, often react negatively to the smell of an intact male. Of course you need to correct him whenever he gets too big for his britches. And if possible, learn the signs that occur before he becomes bossy with another dog and correct then. Often they will stand upright, motionless and stare at the other dog. Don't allow the posturing.

If you're going to neuter, I would do it after 18 months, at which point, they are pretty much fully developed. There is some research out now that early neutering can lead to orthopedic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Is this a qualified trainer ?
    yes i believe it is. its petco training. i dont think the can take on the role of trainer if they werent certified, at least i dont think they can. i hope his 5 other classes go better!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

somet23 is offline Senior Member

im taking stella to pet smart for training right now. i talk to the trainers at petco then at petsmart then i made my decision.
    [IMG][/IMG]

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
    yes i believe it is. its petco training. i dont think the can take on the role of trainer if they werent certified, at least i dont think they can. i hope his 5 other classes go better!
    Not at all true, unfortunately. Anybody can call themselves a dog trainer. When you say"scuffle" what do you mean? Was there growling and piloerection (hair on the neck/back standing up)?

I put very little stock in dominance theory. Not many dogs at all are truly inclined to be "alpha" so the constant interpretation of dog behavior around the concept of dominance is a bunch of crap IMO. Real behaviorists talk about dominance as controlling access to resources, anyway. In dogs lives they don't have much if any resource control.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

he groweled(sp?) i didnt see if any hair was sticking up. then he struck the neck of the golden. didnt cause any damage because they both had head collars on for pulling on lease reasons. but before the class started when we were first meeting each other jayson was growling at him just by the sight of him. jayson is a pretty nervous dog if a person approaches him wrong and he doesnt like it he growls and i remove him from the situation.
    Last edited by kaykay; 02-23-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Kristin

jayson

laika

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he needs extra work on socialization. You should have friends approach while you toss him treats and praise him while he's being receptive and friendly. In fact, the people approaching can help by tossing treats to him. Just removing him is not going to affect his behavior in a positive way.

And you may just have a dog who is not a fan of other dogs. They are not all interested in having dog friends. I would be more concerned with the people aspect of his socialization, frankly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast