My heart stopped
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My heart stopped

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy heart stopped- Update at top

Around 6:15p tonight I was in the kitchen and heard the sound of toenails on floor attempting to regain balance. I turned to see Jack's tail disappear into the living room but the noise continued. We have cork floors and I figured he was attempting to gain the throw rug. I got into the living room in time to see his back half moving wobbly and his back legs stretched out behind him a bit. He got to the rug and laid down looking regal and alert. I had visions of his having lost control of his rear legs. He was alert, not panting,and very happy laying down thank you. But I was very afraid. After a couple of minutes I went into the pantry and got dog cookies. He heard the rustling and walked out to the kitchen almost but not as sturdy as he had been an hour before.

We think he is gong on 15 years old. His hips are bad from before he came into our lives over 11 years ago. His rear leg muscles have atrophied a bit over the years, he has arthritis, and he does not get onto the furniture without help. He lets us know what he wants. He is mentally alert. I pray this is not a downhill slide, just a a trip on the wood and cork floors. Please keep Jack in your thoughts and prayers.
    LD

UPDATE 2:45p Feb 22
    Jack is getting around OK. Tucks his back legs under and collapses maybe into a down position. He refuses to stay put if I am in the kitchen. Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers for Jack.

Deidra- Labs are so stoic. At one point last night I thought he was dragging his rear legs but when he gained the throw rug and laid down he looked at me like he was trying to change the subject- hiding some pain. He thumped his tail a little and gave me Oh I'm fine thank you. I did something like that myself last year at the vet's office wearing worn out sandals. Opened the door to leave. I had taken a step forward Buddy caught a scent outside and rocketed forward. At the same time Jack caught a whiff of treats on a display rack beside him and stopped. Jack's leash was loose. Buddy yanked me forward like a boat pulling a water skier and I tripped on the threshold of the door. Banged up my toes and felt pain in my back being pulled forward and then momentarily jerked to a stop by Jack's nose investigating still investigating the treat scent. Buddy is still accelerating and I dragged Jack out the door, almost pulling him over while trying to regain balance and grace. Just before the door closed i heard noises of reaction to the spectacle of the old fat guy and old dog being yanked out the door by the younger Lab hell bent for somewhere. Somebody came to the door as I regained control of my balance and rocket dog. I did not want to make a big deal of what had happened so I posed like the gymnast sticking the perfect landing and put my hands above my head straight like a ref signaling a touchdown. The door opened the person shouted 9.5 and closed the door. I limped to the car and that was it. Jack has a wide assortment of aches and pains he does not like to admit to. Last night was just a bit scary. Jack is an older dog and I just don't want to accept that the clock is ticking.
    The last time I heard that kind of noise it was accompanied by a scream from Baby Girl in June 2009. She had no feeling or control of the back half of her body and we helped her across the Bridge. That vision was foremost in my mind last night.
    Last edited by Lab Dad; 02-22-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Updating original post

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for jack! I have the similar thing happen with Tank. He has weak back hips and I think he may be getting arthritis. I have to have the vet check him out during his next appointment. His "episodes" happen when the temperature drops quickly. his hips hurt him off and on anyway but the cold makes it worse. SO we put a heater in front of him and let him rest. It sounds like Jack has a different problem though? If he rests for a little bit does he get better?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Jack. I hope he just had a slip on the floors. It does make you worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts coming your way For you and Jack.

Tucker is offline Senior Member

Aww...poor guy! Good thoughts for Jack

Mazie's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh yes ...good thoughts for you and Jack...come on...no more tragedy... no more....

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts your way.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Jack. Erns has hd and arthritis and from time to time he has trouble with the wood floors and slows down for a day or 2. Hoping a day of rest and Jack will be feelling better.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts and prayers Andy! Hugs to the One-eyed Jack!

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts on the way for Jack
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast