Nance talk to me about " twinkles" Granddoggie related :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nance talk to me about " twinkles" Granddoggie related :(

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultNance talk to me about " twinkles" Granddoggie related :(

Or anyone else who's pup has had seizure's. Our beautiful black boy Murphy, our Son and DIL's pup had his first seizure tonight, so scary for them, lasted about 2 mins. Our DIL works at a vet's office and one of the vets live just down from them so she came over and checked him out. Of course by then he was up and acting fine. He is just about 2yrs old, he is a rescue so we only know aprox. age. When did your pup's have their first one and when did you, if you do, start medicating them. The vet said they would just keep an eye on him and see if he has another, does this sound reasonable. I know how we treat 2 legged peeps who have seizure's, not sure what the normal course is for our 4 legged family members. I'm just sad for our poor boy, our son and DIL Here is a picture of our sweet Murph!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Oh, DI. That had to be so scary for them. I hope it was a one time thing.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CindersMyGirl View Post
    Oh, DI. That had to be so scary for them. I hope it was a one time thing.
    Thank you Sonya, I sure hope so too

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Oh No!!! How scary! Are they going to do tests? I am so sorry this is happening!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry Di. I hope it was a one time thing. Sammy had seizures. I can't remeber the meds he was on, but they helped and he rarely had them once on the meds. I don't know the tests as he had it when I got him.

Good thougths.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Hugs and prayers Di.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so sorry,

I am sure others with more experience will chime in with more feedback, but I did have a foster with seizures. From all my research, yes, the vet was very reasonable to wait and see. people aim to keep a dog off medication until it is required. Usually if they happen too often (more than once a month ish) or are too severe (take too big a tole on the body) they medicate but you can go years and years without medication. The foster I had was a chocolate lab, 3 years old. He had 1 seizure in the two months he was with me. They were not grand male, he was awake and aware during the seizure and yes, one of the hardest things to watch.

vet encourage you to document the day (or week) of the seizure as much as possible to see if a trigger can be found. THe more you document the more you an hopefully find a link from one seizure to another (and to physical write everything down, every detail you can remember right way).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Di, I have no advice, just hoping this is the only one. Is there any way you can find out from the rescue if he's had any in the past? That might help the vet.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

That's a good idea, Tanya. Documenting everything.

Garth is offline Registered Users

So sorry Di. It's so hard to watch. You feel completely helpless.

One of my Pugs was epileptic. He took his first fit at less than a year old. He was on phenobarb every day for his 15 years. If we tried to take him off them, he'd relapse in a few days. Turned out it was hereditary. There were also at least 2 others in his litter that were the same. Bloody breeder refused to admit there was anything wrong with that line but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    vet encourage you to document the day (or week) of the seizure as much as possible to see if a trigger can be found. THe more you document the more you an hopefully find a link from one seizure to another (and to physical write everything down, every detail you can remember right way).
    This is a good idea. If you can ID a trigger, you might be able to prevent it. It could be excitement from playing or fear (loud noises or something else spooking him?). If you keep detailed notes, you might see a pattern emerging. In our case, he didn't need an excuse, it just hit him anywhere any time. He even had fits in his sleep until we got him on the pheno.

I hope he can get some help soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast