Recommendations please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Recommendations please

  1. #1
    LabLover40 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3

    DefaultRecommendations please

    I am looking to add a bench/show lab puppy to our family this spring or summer and would appreciate any and all recommendations members could share regarding quality breeders in PA. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options out there and not at all confident in some of the ones that have turned up in my web searches.

    With 4 children, our house is active (and fairly loud) so help from the breeder in selecting a beautiful, healthy, "best fit" dog for us is important too. We would be willing to travel to NY/OH/MI or beyond if necessary if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    You can contact local lab clubs for recommendations.
    index
    The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever
    Labrador Retriever
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  4. #3
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Are you looking to show a dog or just looking for a bench type? The best place to begin is with the Lab club nearest you. Where in PA are you?

    You can certainly go further afield and breeders do ship if you want to go that route. Generally on the east coast it's not hard to find great choices.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    This is the Pittsburgh LRC website

    index



    Laura





  7. #5
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

  8. #6
    LabLover40 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Are you looking to show a dog or just looking for a bench type? The best place to begin is with the Lab club nearest you. Where in PA are you?

    You can certainly go further afield and breeders do ship if you want to go that route. Generally on the east coast it's not hard to find great choices.
    I won't be showing the dog, just love the stockier build and face of a bench type. We are in NW PA. I hadn't ever thought of having the dog shipped, just figured we'd be driving longer...

  9. #7
    CaliforniaLabLover's Avatar
    CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    PLEASE consider contacting the breeders Labby posted. They are all well-respected, reputable and ethical breeders well known across the nation (and even the world). I know from personal experience that there are some very questionable breeders there in PA. Even if those breeders don't have litters available at the time when you're looking, they will be able to give you referrals to other breeders they know and trust.

    ~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

    "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

  10. #8
    joflake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LabLover40 View Post
    I won't be showing the dog, just love the stockier build and face of a bench type. We are in NW PA. I hadn't ever thought of having the dog shipped, just figured we'd be driving longer...
    I'm glad you asked this question, I'm in NW to NC PA and have wondered about reputable breeders in this area, although, I will probably rescue.

  11. #9
    Dani's Avatar
    Dani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI
    Posts
    6,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover View Post
    PLEASE consider contacting the breeders Labby posted. They are all well-respected, reputable and ethical breeders well known across the nation (and even the world). I know from personal experience that there are some very questionable breeders there in PA. Even if those breeders don't have litters available at the time when you're looking, they will be able to give you referrals to other breeders they know and trust.
    ^^^^This. Good luck.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

    Member Since 6/2003

  12. #10
    LabLover40 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I will be in contact with the breeders Labby suggested and am feeling much better about making a good and ethical choice as we bring a new member into our family. Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dog bed recommendations?
    By moosesmom07 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25