Recommendations please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations please

LabLover40 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRecommendations please

I am looking to add a bench/show lab puppy to our family this spring or summer and would appreciate any and all recommendations members could share regarding quality breeders in PA. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options out there and not at all confident in some of the ones that have turned up in my web searches.

With 4 children, our house is active (and fairly loud) so help from the breeder in selecting a beautiful, healthy, "best fit" dog for us is important too. We would be willing to travel to NY/OH/MI or beyond if necessary if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You can contact local lab clubs for recommendations.
    index
    The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever
    Labrador Retriever
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are you looking to show a dog or just looking for a bench type? The best place to begin is with the Lab club nearest you. Where in PA are you?

You can certainly go further afield and breeders do ship if you want to go that route. Generally on the east coast it's not hard to find great choices.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

This is the Pittsburgh LRC website

index

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Are you looking to show a dog or just looking for a bench type? The best place to begin is with the Lab club nearest you. Where in PA are you?

You can certainly go further afield and breeders do ship if you want to go that route. Generally on the east coast it's not hard to find great choices.
    I won't be showing the dog, just love the stockier build and face of a bench type. We are in NW PA. I hadn't ever thought of having the dog shipped, just figured we'd be driving longer...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

PLEASE consider contacting the breeders Labby posted. They are all well-respected, reputable and ethical breeders well known across the nation (and even the world). I know from personal experience that there are some very questionable breeders there in PA. Even if those breeders don't have litters available at the time when you're looking, they will be able to give you referrals to other breeders they know and trust.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LabLover40 View Post
    I won't be showing the dog, just love the stockier build and face of a bench type. We are in NW PA. I hadn't ever thought of having the dog shipped, just figured we'd be driving longer...
    I'm glad you asked this question, I'm in NW to NC PA and have wondered about reputable breeders in this area, although, I will probably rescue.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover View Post
    PLEASE consider contacting the breeders Labby posted. They are all well-respected, reputable and ethical breeders well known across the nation (and even the world). I know from personal experience that there are some very questionable breeders there in PA. Even if those breeders don't have litters available at the time when you're looking, they will be able to give you referrals to other breeders they know and trust.
    ^^^^This. Good luck.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I will be in contact with the breeders Labby suggested and am feeling much better about making a good and ethical choice as we bring a new member into our family. Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast