Q for you people with seniors & yonger dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for you people with seniors & yonger dogs

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultQ for you people with seniors & yonger dogs

What do you do when you take them for a walk? I usually walk Bear about 2-3km's/night. I can't do that now I have a 14 yo to consider. He just can't do it. I took them for a short walk down to the park at the end of my street tonight. That's only about 50m away. I had to carry Pablo most of the way because he couldn't handle it. Meanwhile, Bear was his typical energetic self & couldn't understand why we were walking so slow. When we got to the park, I let Pablo wander around on his own for about 5 minutes before he got tired & I had to carry him most of the way home.

What do you do with the oldies? Do you leave them at home? It doesn't seem fair to them to see the other dog going for walks while they stay home. How do you get that balance without favouring one over the other?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Never walk a pug farther than you can carry him back

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It's a problem. I walk all three together, but Mitzi, 12, doesn't walk fast but she will walk the distance at her slow pace, so we all walk together at Mitzi's slow pace. Judy,10, doesn't mind going slow, but Bruno,4, would like to speed it up. I can't keep up with Bruno, so he has to save the running for the yard and for the way to the lake when off leash. If I leave any one at home and walk the others, the one left behind howls the whole time.
    Your problem is a little different: Pablo can't walk the same distance as Bear. Have you thought of taking a baby carrier for him? or a fold up baby stroller? The walk together does a lot for family bonding.
    (Just saw SharonaZamboni picture. A Pug would look just as cute as the poodle in the stroller.)
    Last edited by mitziandjudysmom; 02-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Some of my DP friends have a four year old Labradoodle ! Up until he passed away, they also had a 14year old Lab.

They live about 150 yds away from the DP so they would spend 15 minutus walking to the park and the old Lab would do a circuit of the park ( it's surrounded by hedges ) while they exercised the LD with a chuckit !

Is Pablo likely to run away ?

2LabsMom is offline Member

When Jake was still with us we would take him for a mini walk with all of us, then we would drop him back off at the house and go back out. Now I realize you take your pups to a park but could you walk around your neighborhood or down your street ( I would think just being older and smaller) you wouldn't have to go too far.

The carrier thing would work too I think...as long as your youngest is a good walker or you have help. I used to feel so guilty for leaving Jake back but I came to realize it's like taking a teen and a toddler...the teen would be thrilled to have some quiet time

Forever in our hearts Jake

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2LabsMom View Post
    When Jake was still with us we would take him for a mini walk with all of us, then we would drop him back off at the house and go back out. Now I realize you take your pups to a park but could you walk around your neighborhood or down your street ( I would think just being older and smaller) you wouldn't have to go too far.

The carrier thing would work too I think...as long as your youngest is a good walker or you have help. I used to feel so guilty for leaving Jake back but I came to realize it's like taking a teen and a toddler...the teen would be thrilled to have some quiet time
    I'd so love to see this ! Garth with a pushchair LOL

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Well, if not a stroller, what about a doggie back pack?

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

It seems like I've always had at least one oldster and a youngster! Right now, I've got 3 different energy levels. I usually take Jazzy and my 2 beagles( ages 4 and 11) for a short family walk and drop my older beagle, Ted, off at the house before taking off with the other two. He is happy he got to walk and tired enough to enjoy his nap! I have had to carry Ted home too and at 32 lbs...that was the longest walk ever!LOL
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast