My lesson from Flynn's thievery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lesson from Flynn's thievery

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy lesson from Flynn's thievery

You people who rescue may have a special appreciation of this little discovery.

Flynn was a rescue. It took a year or two for us to realize he does not respond to "Good boy" or "Good dog", however, he DOES respond appropriately to "THANK you Flynn!" Thank you. He *gets* that.

Now, "bad dog" is a term which is never ever ever used in my home. I just don't like it. But last night when I blurted it out when Flynn stole my steak?!? Boy oh boy! He *got it* pronto! Discovery. Someone taught him what a "bad dog" means.

He even knew there were consequences! He KNEW I was going to tell him to go outside. He was headed that way as I gave the order. And for about 5 minutes, as he stood at the doggie door, he would occasionally poke just his nose through... to see if the coast was clear or if I would give him the go ahead... but he never tried to come back in. I knew at about 5 minutes the banishment would no longer have any meaning to him so I allowed him back in.

It's kind of sad, to me, that one of the phrases from his past which he responds to is "bad dog".

He's NOT a bad dog. He's just... Flynn.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Oh Nance I know - it's terrible what they may remember from past lives. My sister has rescued many a pup and it breaks my heart to see some reactions.

Flynn is just Flynn as you said.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sad Nance - Sad

Try Steak thief next time ! There will be a bext time - you know that !

BTW Meg incited it ! Flynn was just doin' what he's told !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

My neighbor's rescue Allie definatly knew "bad dog" when they got her someone obviously used to at least swat at her when they said it probably hit her because when she hears it she cowers. Poor girl. At least there is no chance of that happening now her current owners treat her like a queen

Well, the good news is you found out how to make him feel guilty. We do have a "bad dog" at our house, so the phrase doesn't bother me at all. At least he didn't cower in the corner, like you knew he had been hit or something. I've seen soooo many rescues afraid of my friendly hand wanting to pet them. Breaks my heart. I haven't noticed any "past life" issues with Boomer yet. Well, except when we first got him. We let him outside before bed to go potty. He found a corner of the fence, and laid down to go to sleep. I knew then he had been an outside dog all of his life. Very sad.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It's kind of sad, to me, that one of the phrases from his past which he responds to is "bad dog".
    That is very, very sad to me. Makes my heart hurt for him.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

That is sad.

Chamois is a rescue and she's always hated being scolded. She just cringes and gives you the beaten dog ears if you even start to raise your voice or take a stern tone. It really makes me wonder, though, because when we took her in, she was only about 12 weeks old.

joflake is offline Senior Member

That is very sad, poor boy. Hopefully, he won't have to hear those words again.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

That's sad Nance.

Reminds me when I told Emma to "go and lay down", once when she was getting in the way while I was vacuum or something, some years ago. I didn't say it loud and didn't even think. Those were the words she kept hearing while she lived with my sister. "Go and lay down on your place" A paw or the snout was outside her corner.... "NO! On your place, I said!". My heart broke when I saw how Emma reacted on the words she remembered from her past life. Her head sank, tail low sad walking to her bed.... This was not the same "place", but those words reminded her of how her life was before and she did as she was told... I never used those words ever again.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh God, Veronica. That just started the waterworks over here.

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast