Cosequin DS Questions

Thread: Cosequin DS Questions

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultCosequin DS Questions

I already have Dee on a Vet Diet (Royal Canin Mobility) which contains Green-Lipped Mussel Powder. I'm thinking of giving her Cosequin also. She has been on the Mobility diet for about 4 years and seems to have done really well on it. She was x-rayed again last summer and apparently does have arthritis in one hip in particular. I notice some fairly mild lameness at times...nothing severe, but I'm thinking that adding the Cosequin might help to hold off anything worse. On the other hand if she's doing okay is there any negative affects to giving the Cosequin....any reason to hold off? Also I'm wondering if there's any reason not to give Cosequin on top of the Mobility food containing the Green-Lipped Mussell Powder? And would it be okay once she's on it to take her off it when she's in the kennels....which is usually only the odd time for two or three days? I mean I guess they would give them to her, but perhaps a few days off wouldn't hurt.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I have given Skippy Co-sequin DS for years now. He's had 2 back leg surgeries, is a big dog, and 9 years old. I don't really know if it even helps, but SU and I also take Glucosmin/Chondroitin and I think it helps us some, so I imagine that it helps Skippy. There aren't any side effects to it that I know of , and I don't think that it hurts them to skip a few doses. And that is all my un-proffessional opinion

Dani is offline Senior Member

I actually feel like it does help. I'm not giving the boys Cosequin DS anymore, I'm giving human grade cosequin...because I now have to take it as well. So, all three of us get 1500mg every morning. I know that my knees feel much better, so I have to think that the boys feel good too!

I get the condroitin/glucosimine tablets at cost, so it's much less expensive than the Cosequin DS for all of us. I have a 7 month supply that cost me like 50$.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cosequin is more like a maintenance med, or a vitamin. No harm in giving it in addition to the food. It is something that military working dogs get routinely regardless of how their hips look or their age.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking of putting her on Cosequin for awhile, but was told that the RC Mobility was sufficient. I know most seem to feel that Vet diets aren't the best, but all in all (and aside from her joint issue) she does really well on this food......and I think it must contain more supplement than the average dog food that says it contains gluc/chon. It's quite expensive, so I hope it's helping. Touch wood her hips don't outwardly appear to have deteriorated too much over the years.....although the one hip has got somewhat worse with regards to seeing the arthritis on the x-ray. I wouldn't want to over do the supplements, but thought adding the Cosequin might just help to delay further arthritis. I'm not sure what the difference is between Green-Lipped Mussel and gluc/chon....or whether there is any reason not to give them at the same time.??? It's handy having a supplement right in the food because then even when we are away and she stays at kennels she's still getting it without them having to give her any pills separately.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

All of my dogs get it daily, and have since they were very young. It can't hurt, and I think it does help.

You might talk to your vet about Adequan injections as well for the arthritis.