Lab Size

Thread: Lab Size

DefaultLab Size

How much truth is there in the belief that the size of a puppy, or a puppy's feet specifically, indicates how large the full grown dog will be? The litter that we have been waiting for was finally born about 3 weeks ago, as some of you may remember me posting, and we have gone to see the babies once so far, another visit is scheduled for the 5 week mark. The mother of the litter is on the smaller side at between 45 and 55 pounds. We are hoping the female we bring home will be larger than her mother, we are aiming for the 55-65 pound range. Are there any guidelines to follow when choosing a puppy for size? Size is certainly not the #1 thing we are looking, obviously that is personality and energy-level, but we have given the breeder a fairly lengthy list of the things we are looking for in this area and will rely on him to advise us on this. Any thought?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I´m not sure but if you want a large dog, I guess both parents need to be large and come from large dog bloodlines. The idea of breeding a large male to a small female would produce something in between in terms of size just doesn´t work like that.

Both my dogs are very small, british blooded, compared to the american show lines, and it does have an advantage: everybody thinks they are pups

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When Puff was a pup, several people commented on how large her paws were, suggesting she'd grow up to be a large dog.

Her parents were large dogs. Her sibs (7 others) all weighed 12 lbs. at 9 weeks age to Puff's 6 lbs.

That attracted me.

My first Lab, Bess, was also the runt of her littter and weighed 55 lbs. as an adult.

I envy your positon -- for me, having a smaller Lab is a great PLUS. I'd be pleased if Puff weighed 55 lbs (or less) like Bess but appreciate that it's no more than her 62.

She fits comfortably on our sailboat and in our Honda Civic Hybrid -- which an 80 lb. Lab would find more challenging.

I LOVE a smaller Lab.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure how much foot size has to do with the adult size of the dog...Java has big, honking feet and she is a big girl-70+ lbs at 10 months and still needs to fill out. She was the biggest female in her litter-we took her home at 8 weeks weighing almost 17lbs. Moka's feet are not quite as big as Java's (they have the same parents) and she isn't nearly as big at her age as Java was. She came home at 8 weeks weighing 11 lbs and now at 14 weeks weighs 25 lbs. Java weighed 34lbs at 12 weeks.....so I think Moka is going to be smaller than Java. Their mom is a well muscled 80 lbs, and their dad tops out at 90lbs.
    We picked Java because she was very mellow and laid back, but not shy. We didn't want the "hyper" puppy that jumped on us, kissed us and ran around like a nut....their personality at 8 weeks is a good indicator of their personality at a later age. As soon as we picked up Java we knew she was the "one", I can't explain it. We just knew that it was her (we had 8 girls to pick from!!)
    we didn't pick Java just because of her size, being the biggest female, but it definitely played a part in our choice. We picked Moka because she was equal parts mellow and playful and she had the most beautiful dark chocolate coat, which is one of the things I was looking for and she had the sweetest face!!

Good luck and we want pictures!!!
    If you send pictures we'll pick for you!! lol

Thanks for your thoughts! I can't wait to see them again! And I will definitely post some pictures soon!