Q about another ear characteristic

Thread: Q about another ear characteristic

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultQ about another ear characteristic

Puff has somewhat different ears than my first Lab, Bess.

Bess (AKC bench line) had ears typical of most Labs -- large flaps that hang down over the ear canal and that perk up slightly when she's attentive to something. The shape is roughly trapezoidal, largely vertical on the leading edge, a rounded tip at the bottom, then tapered on the trailing edge upward at about a 45º-60º degree angle before looking vertical again (although there's more ear flap curled underneath).

Puff (AKC, HT/FT line) has ears that act and look similar but also she often pulls them back, almost semi-folds them, so that the opening to the ear canal is almost exposed.

I haven't catalogued all the occasions when this does or doesn't happen but it doesn't when Puff's sleeping and it always does when she's entreating me or being affectionate to me. (That folding or pulling back shows clearly in our siggy pix below.) It also often does when she's running or retrieving.

Bess, BTW, had frequent ear infections we had to often treat, possibly brought on by her frequent swimming. Puff has never had an ear infection although she's sometimes gone swimming 1ce/day for several months.

Anyone else have a Lab with the fold-back ears like Puff? Or the non-fold back like Bess?

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 11-19-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum folds hers back like your Puff. She also rarely has ear problems. I think more air is able to circulate when they can fold them back like that. Her's hang like regular lab ears when she perks them up (see siggy) but normally they are more folded back like you describe.

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

I'll have to check tomorrow....this is interesting. Aidan is my ear infection dog...but we keep it mostly under control with the "purple stuff" after swimming, and PP beef rather than poultry.
    i just checked their feet for the other thread and they wont be happy if i go poking around their ears lol

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BrucesMom is offline Senior Member

Bruce can pull his ears back too. He doesn't do it very often usually in a situation like Puff in your sig. pic. Now you have drawn it to my attention I will pay closer attention.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma folds back her ears too. Mostly when she's approaching me, being affectionate, when she's trotting around with her tail wagging. When someone pet her.

Her ears are "typical" flat in many situations too. The shape is

She perks her ears when she hears something, greeting another dog, waiting for me to put down her food. Her ears are typical often too. She's an ear-problem dog.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java has ears more like how you describe Bess. Moka has ears like Puff's, that she folds back and lets droop down sometimes...I call it her "pathetic nobody loves me" look or sometimes (please don't take offense) her shelter dog look...because it makes her look sad. She does that mostly when she's very, very tired. Like she has no energy to hold her ears up...

lisa is offline Senior Member

When Grace was a pup, up until about 4 month old her ears hung like the traditional lab, now Gracie's ears fold almost all the time. When she is greeting someone with her toys, they fold back and most of the time they remain folded, they very seldom lay flat like a traditional lab...but of course she is the most beautiful to me no matter what

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Morgan has ears like your Puff