Is this a mean way to catch a rabbit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a mean way to catch a rabbit?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this a mean way to catch a rabbit?

As some of you know, we've had a rabbit in our backyard pretty much every night for the past couple of weeks. When we go out to play fetch at night, whoever is out there (usually Simon) has to first chase him out of the yard. Simon is getting very good at this, and is going to catch him one day soon. That would be sad for me, and I'd prefer not to see something happen to the rabbit.

I'm also a little suspicious of this rabbit perhaps being linked to whatever funk is on their feet. Mange, maybe?

Anyway, long story short, the rabbit's got to go. We have one of those traps that is like a little crate and the door closes behind them when they go in. We've caught and relocated several critters using these.

Well, we've had it set up for about a week in different spots, and Mr. Rabbit isn't falling for it. We put carrots in it...? I don't know what a rabbit would like! Anyone have other suggestions?

Now, to the original question - is this mean? Kevin is getting tired of not being successful at this, and he said last night what he wants to do is set the cage up right outside the hole he runs out when the boys chase him out of the yard. So, the rabbit would run under the fence and smack into the cage.

That sounds a little mean to me. But, I suppose we know for sure he exits that way when he's running. I just envision him moving at full speed, and whack!

I think I'd prefer trying to bait it a little better first.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Would it be callous of me to PM you a recipe for hasenpfeffer?

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL...stupid rabbits! Even tho the dogs keep chasing mine out of the yard, they keep coming back.

No, I wouldn't call it mean, you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally, I'm almost to a point of doing something drastic!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Might cause the rabbit to slam on the brakes - then Simon will snatch him up.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

The rabbit would have a better chance running full speed into the trap than having Simon catch him. But remember, there's always the danger of trapping a skunk or racoon. Be careful. Also, be sure you get to the trap before your boys if there's something in it. They will go nuts, turn it over, and catch whatever is in there. (been there, done that.)
    I never caught a skunk, but a co worker did, and nothing good can come of that.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Make sure you close the trap at night - we caught a raccoon once. Not fun.

I don't know what rabbits would like, but to finally catch the groundhog we put peanut butter on the veggies. We tried everything the internet told us they would eat, but nothing worked until we put PB on them.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'll agree that it's probably not the best way to exit the yard however, it beats the alternative of Simon catching him.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Dan! *snicker*

OMG, I didn't think of catching a skunk. I don't think he's been closing the trap at night.

We've moved it around several places, but the latest places have not even been in the yard proper, but in the fenced-in area around the HVAC unit. I think under the deck would be a good place too, as they seem very interested in that area.

Good thought on the pb. I'll try that on the carrots.

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

Wascally wabbits

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast