Giving this holiday season..(very long)

Thread: Giving this holiday season..(very long)

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultGiving this holiday season..(very long)

For that past 6 months we have been donating to a local food bank. They have had a VERY small and limited supply of pet related items.
    I have heard over and over the sad stories of people giving up their pets because of all the hardships families are going through.
    My store has been giving damaged, opened/returned, expired bags of dog/cat food.
    I called them again saying I had a TON of stuff for them in the pet food department. The woman who works there was almost in tears (which of course set me off). Saying that they have never had the response and feedback from the people who use there services more than what they have since we've been giving them pet food.
    She said in the past people would get their food, come back in and quietly ask if they can have an extra can of tuna or beans to feed to their cat or dog. This of course had me in tears.
    Since we have been trying to stock their pet food/supply area the people are just overwhelmed.

Imagine making little money, maybe the only one supporting your family after job loss, cut backs, etc. Having to come home to your family with hardly enough to pay bill and put food on the table and then have to worry about your family pet.
    Some may ask, well if you cannot afford them, why keep them...
    I guess I can understand why.....
    When times are tough and I am feeling down the ONE thing that has always gotten me through hard times has been the comforting companionship I get from my pets.
    These people are already dealing with having to ask for help by getting food from a food bank to help their families. They are literally steps away at times from having to give up their pets.
    Maybe their pets are that one thing helping them hold on to their sanity.
    Our local humane society's get PLENTY of support! Dog food companies donate food to them, money is left to them in their wills for crying out loud.
    But I think helping the families keep their pets and keeping them out of the shelters is far more important.

So I urge you all to consider donating pet food to a local food bank if you have one. Even human food. My store is planning a pet food drive for them in the month of December and I also personally plan on helping them out with what little I can.
    To make more bang for you buck I suggest a lower cost pet food. No, not to be cheap but it goes a lot further for them.
    I know what our bank does is mix it all and combines it in smaller, equal sized bags for everyone.

I tell you this has been weighing on me for days. I could not even sleep two night ago. Thinking of what it would be like to not be able to feed my pets. On the verge of having to give them up......
    Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

That is very, very, very awesome of you.

We are actually doing that in my area, too. A few of the vet clinics have big tubs where people can donate pet and human food items.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to be in that position and not being able to feed my animals. It's a sad and very scary thought.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I just got off the phone with the food pantry. She said they hear about it all the time. The folks who had to give up their pet.
    I don't get than many people excited to hear it is me on the other end calling them but I laugh when ever I call them and tell them its me I get a big "YEAH!! - we love hearing from you!"

I am also going to go clean out my cupboards today. I KNOW there are some items in there I do not use or need and I am going to drop them off. I also stil have thanksgiving food to purchase and will get more canned goods then to drop off.

Times are VERY hard. I know we have struggled a lot this year and we have to help out our 'neighbors'.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

That is very sad. We are having a food drive here at work for the local food bank, I am going to include pets in the notice when I send it out and I am going to bring in some stuff myself. Thanks for bringing this up.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Kim,
    What you are doing is WONDERFUL and you've got my fiance and I thinking about it and ready to do what we can in our area, too. I know the humane society about 80 miles from here is FULL because of the hard times.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful idea. At the church where I work, we support a food bank and I'm going to make a call tomorrow and ask if they could use pet food and see if we can get something going for that. Thanks for all you are doing to help those in need in your area and I shall try to do the same here. Thanks for the idea!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I'll have you know I cried at lunch today as I thought about your post. But what a great idea, and thanks for posting it.

I came back to the office and checked with our local food bank, and they do not accept pet food donations. However, our local Humane Association has a pet food bank, so I'll be donating to that.

I usually try to help one dog a year. Last year it was Belvedere. The year before that, it was getting a Lab out of a shelter, vetted and in a new home. The year before that, it was our dearest Jules.

But I haven't helped a dog this year. I think I'll do this instead.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Our dog training club donates pet food to the Meals on Wheels program to help folks feed their pets. Just another thought on how to donate.