suggestions please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions please

NoName is offline Junior Member

Defaultsuggestions please

I know it is very difficult to try and match a dog and person without actually meeting them but I was wondering if you could give me some ideas. I have no idea about the variation of pet v show v working labs and was wondering if you would be able to suggest which type would be best for us. I will try and give as much info as possible and please feel free to say that actually our home isnt suited at all - I would hate to get a dog and then it not work out.

Ok so we are a family with the youngest child being 6. My kids are very dog savvy and have been raised with GSD and so size isnt an issue with them, they also know how to treat a dog and wouldnt dream of teasing one. I work part time and try to work on the rule that a dog shouldnt be left alone for more than 4 hours a day (the odd occassion ok but this must be very rare and unavoidable). I beleive that if a dog has an issue then it is the human's responsibility to figure out why this issue is there and to try to do their best to fix it eg if a dog digs a garden/chew things then it is not being supervised enough etc etc. On average a dog in my family would be expected to be calm in the house but definately an integral part of the family who enjoys spending time with us all. He (not decided on sex yet but as my previous dog was a he is is an automatic word and sooooo much better than it!) could expect one walk a day being at least an hour of off lead play, with toys and games etc. Training is done everyday and this is done with rewards such as games, toys, treats and what ever the dog values. Training should always be fun, I try to use a hands-off method altho at time it is necessary to hold onto their colloar for safety reasons - a common sences approach if you will. I believe in highly socializing a pup and that this socialization should continue through life to create a confidant, socially accepted dog who can accompany me to numerous different places knowing how to behave. On occaison we go on camping trips and the dog would also come with us.

I hope this can give you some sort of idea of the sort of home that we would offer. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I think you should look into a show bred Labrador pet puppy. Generally, they tend to be a bit lower key than the working bred dogs.

Laura

justine is offline Senior Member

I would suggest looking for a Labrador Retriever club near you that could match you up with a breeder or possibly a rescue group in your area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Hmm- you just described my Caleb, but you can't have him! Seriously, Laura (labby) and Justine both gave you some good advice. Where are you located? Somebody here might know of a good breeder or Lab club in your area.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

It sounds like a dog will be very happy at your house! I have heard that field lines are more energetic, but I guess each dog has its own qualities. My Bean is from a field line, and he sure has plenty of energy. He does need to have something to do all the time, he'd be a great working dog. He loves to fetch and has always been sooo gentle with my toddler grandson. He is from a pretty small line, and weighs about 60 lbs. I like the look of field bred; they are definitely leaner and longer-legged. Also the coats are not as thick. Most Labs seem to be very easy to train, as they really want to please us.
    Good luck- I hope you find your perfect new dog soon!

Thanks for your replies. I am in the north west of England. I tried to find some British lab forums but couldnt find any

Thank you to SharonaZamboni for saying that a dog would be happy in our home. Our previous dog was definately a happy boy and always had a twinkle in his eye, he was the most challenging dog I have ever come across but we loved him all the same

Samson is offline Senior Member

Personally, this site annoys the hell out of me because of the colour - I find it hard to read but it's 100% UK

Labrador Forums, Labrador chat rooms, photos, breeders, rescue -> News

You will find Just Labradors more friendly and more informative without the moderation of the UK sites and there is a wealth of information here !

However, you may find more applicable breeder information on the UK site, but having said that, I know that Laura ( Labby ) gave me a UK link a while back, so UK and US/Canadian breeders still connect with each other !

Welcome to the Forum by the way ! As you can see, I'm UK based too !

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Personally, this site annoys the hell out of me because of the colour - I find it hard to read but it's 100% UK

Labrador Forums, Labrador chat rooms, photos, breeders, rescue -> News

You will find Just Labradors more friendly and more informative without the moderation of the UK sites and there is a wealth of information here !

However, you may find more applicable breeder information on the UK site, but having said that, I know that Laura ( Labby ) gave me a UK link a while back, so UK and US/Canadian breeders still connect with each other !

Welcome to the Forum by the way ! As you can see, I'm UK based too !
    Thanks for this. The main problem with this site is that you have to pay to be able to post in it, but I will certainly be keeping my eyes on it for breeder info etc. Other than that do you have any idea how to find a good breeder as and when the time is right?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Lab puppies are high energy. They won't be the dream dog you are talking about, just being calm in the house and laying around with you. Oh they will do that, but they will also run through the house like a dog on crack! You might consider getting a rescue, or a little older dog. We walk Sophie twice a day, plus we have a fenced yard for her to run and play in, and she's still high energy! It sounds like you are really thinking and researching. Good for you! You should be great puppy parents!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

nicole is offline Senior Member

If I was in England, I'd go here... Welcome to the World Famous Rocheby Labradors Marion is a terribly nice person and if she doesn't have anything available, I'm sure she can point you in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast