Help! Question about my Lab and furniture...

Thread: Help! Question about my Lab and furniture...

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Question about my Lab and furniture...

Hi--

I havent posted on here in a while, but you guys are always my 'go-to' experts whenever I have a question about my Presley.

Okay--Presley is 10 years old now and a very sweet, loving dog. But in the last year, she has developed this really weird habit of climbing on the coffee table whenever both my husband and I are watching TV at the same time. She doesnt do it when it is just her and I, or her and him together. But whenever my husband comes home in the evening and we have a night of TV together, she starts climbing all over us and ultimately ends up on the coffee table. It doesnt matter if she was walked or swam that day or not, whether we've been home with her all day or not. She just climbs all over us and the furniture in the evening. Every night like clockwork!

Obviously, it is an anxiety related issue and I believe it has something to do with him working a lot more than I do and missing him (they are quite tight!). I suspect she is jealous of the TV, but seriously, it is annoying. She is standing on our coffee table right this second in the same line of sight as my husband is watching TV. We went furniture shopping today and we often veto a particular table saying "She'll destroy that the first day". She has been our baby for 10 years and this just started about 14 months ago. Nothing's changed in the last 14 months--except maybe more vigorous walks. Her and I are walking partners, but I had surgery 7 months ago and stopped walking as many miles about 4 months prior to that. We still go on shorter walks though. Maybe not as much as she would like.

I just need to figure out how to keep her on her bed verses standing on the coffee table. She does it for the first couple of hours and then gives up and goes back to her bed. I just want to understand what might be going on so we can help her. Especially if it is anxiety related; we want to help her.

Thoughts?
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like she just want to be in the center of the activity. Can you or your husband coax her into sitting next to you instead of on the table? Sophie gets on our coffee table sometimes. We try to keep her off of it, it's glass.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Oh yeah, we try. But she doesnt always comply. Last night I just let lay all over me regardless of whether it was comfortable or not. Even just this second, she is trying to climb on me while I am sitting at the computer typing. I dont know if it is a noise thing or not. I sometimes suspect it involves the volume level. Right now he is watching football and she hates football. But regardless of show, she is all over us. Or she slinks upstairs to hide.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our cat is like that. She will get up and lay on the computer keyboard, or lay in the middle of the newspaper, or in the middle of the book I am reading. We always figured she wanted our undivided attention!!!!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I noticed that as Mitzi got older, she became very clingy.
    Presley is probably happiest when you are both home. The coffee table thing is probably to get attention... divert your attention from the TV to her.
    I would replace the coffee table with an ottoman for her.

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Would it be possible to move the coffee table off to the side while you both are sitting together watching tv? Then put it back when just one of you is home with her?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwormbiker View Post
    Would it be possible to move the coffee table off to the side while you both are sitting together watching tv? Then put it back when just one of you is home with her?
    Great suggestion! I was going to suggest removing the coffee table all together for awhile. Honestly, I know it's hard, but I would be more firm with her. Kind of go back to "puppy training". If you don't want her on the coffee table or climbing all over you, re-teach her not to do it. Encourage her to lay on her bed by giving her a frozen stuffed Kong (or some other good chew)on her bed when you're watching tv. I'd do that anytime she gets clingy and you don't want her in your lap, etc.

Yeah, we move the coffee table and it helps--or it makes her want to climb all over us on the couch. Right now, my husband and I are both home, he is watching TV, and she is sleeping on her bed. But as soon as evening rolls around, she will start up with the coffee table business. It's only in the evening. I agree--I think she is getting much more clingy as she gets older. I have noticed that a lot in the last two years. We've tried treats to sit in her bed and it still doesnt work. It clearly is anxiety/attention related, I can see.

Thanks for the advice. You guys are always spot-on!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

She sounds adorable Enjoy her.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I sincerely apologize because this made me laugh. Silly labradors! That aside, I hope there is nothing wrong with her and if it is anxiety, I hope you can make her feel better. I was going to suggest moving the table aside too and see if she still gets on it. If not, it sounds like she does just want your attention. Or his attention. The ottoman idea is a good one.