Adding a second dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a second dog

k9love is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdding a second dog

Hi,
    I am trying to weigh the pros and cons, and having a really difficult time.

Our history:

We just adopted a GREAT retriever about a month ago. He is about six years old, perfect house manners, gentle, sweet, mellow and pretty much the perfect dog

I will spare the long story, but a fantastic female lab from a great home needs to be rehomed through NO fault of the owner and I was contacted to see if I would be interested. She is six as well, and is described as mellow, sweet, great house manners, etc. I have never had 2 dogs before and have no idea what to expect if I did adopt a second. But I have to say I am very, very tempted.

We can offer the new lab a great home, and have always wanted two...just did not expect it right now! I always think things out very well before making a decision, so am trying to look at this from all angles.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

The things I would consider would be first of all your accommodation. Do you own your own home? If you rent, would your landlord allow a 2nd dog? If renting, do you have a secure long term lease? Too many dogs end up back at shelters because the owners had to move to premises that didn't allow pets.

Can you afford the expenses that go with another dog? Think food, vet care etc.

Is your lifestyle compatible with having 2 dogs? EG: Do you work long hours? Part time? Will someone be home with them?

If you want to go on holidays, have you considered where the dogs will stay?

If you have the answers to these questions worked out & the answer to all of them is yes, then I say go for it! One word of advice though, let your current dog choose his next house mate. Take him with you when you look at the dog & watch how they react together. If they're not compatible straight away, chances are they never will be. When I adopted my GSD, her & my Pug fell in love straight away & they were best friends until I lost her to cancer. When I was ready to adopt another Lab, I took my Pug with me to meet them. The first Lab we met at the SPCA, my Pug totally rejected it. Wouldn't even look at it. Needless to say, I passed on that one. When I found my current boy on one of the rescue sites, I took my Pug to meet him. It was love at first sight. Both of their lives were complete until my Pug died within about 6 weeks of getting Bear from a paralysis tick. They were torn apart far too soon. It was cruel. I'm currently in the market for another Pug. Whether I get a pup or a rescue, I'll be taking Bear with me to see if they'll be compatible first.

From what you describe, it sounds like these 2 would be a perfect match for each other. Good luck.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Great advice Garth! I remember when you took Ronnie to meet Bear! You were so happy they clicked! We were all happy for you. I hope the OP has a good connection as well.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I agree with a lot of what Garth say, but, you really don't have to be home more for 2 dogs than for one. IMO the bigger issue is money. You'll have 2 older dogs who will be seniors at the same time in just a few years. If you have adequate disposable income that you can manage a health crisis times 2, then you should probably be OK.

Also know - it's shedding times 2 as well.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, you are familiar with dog life and sound prepared to add a second dog. The only thing I have to add is to suggest you have the two meet and see how compatible they will be. You wouldn't want them to be snarling at each other right off the bat. I hope this works out for you!

Seamus and Flynn

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you have to be ready personally for a second dog. the expense is definitely a factor - food, vetting, toys, boarding, etc. this has been one thing keeping me from getting a second dog. It's super easy to find a place for my boy to stay, I know if I add a second it will be harder.

I personally think it does require abit more time in a day. they need one on one time. your current dog is still very new to you and even though things are going well I could continue to work on bonding and training (one on one). With the new arrival you should spend some one on one time with them, training (even if they are already pretty good, it helps to review things) and bonding with them.

And definitely see if they are compatible. Are both good with other dogs?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

To me the first thing to consider is if the dogs (both) actually like the company of other dogs and if they are compatible. Let them meet each other and see how it goes. If its love at first sight, then I would do it.

In terms of care, twice the expense of course (food, vet bills, etc), twice the poop to pick up, tons of dog hair, more difficult to walk two dogs than one, etc.

BUT... dogs are social animals and most of them enjoy living with other dogs, its a lot of fun to watch them play together, snuggle, take care of each other etc. and you get twice the love from them of course.

I started with Misha, then after fostering my brother´s Golden Retriever for a couple months I decided to get Homer, and now 3 years after I just added a third dog. It is indeed a lot of work

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I can't add anything to what has already been said. Excellent advice. When I got Barney, I took Tal with me and they have been buds ever since. It's true about the vet bills too. And the food. And the toys. Would I do it again? In heartbeat! And as others have said, first consider how your current dog responds. I had Tal and Midnight (my cat) and since they were already here and established I considered their feelings first and foremost. From what you say sounds like they will do great together! Wish you the best!

nicole is offline Senior Member

I think two dogs are a great idea, but I caution you about getting another of the same age. Are you ready to have two senior dogs in a couple years? I'd recommend getting a younger companion for your current dog.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree about two seniors, they are more work and sometimes more expensive (if they need pain management for arthritis or something - my dad was paying up to $100 per month for our older dog).

I forgot to mention one thing - sometimes new dogs go thru a phase where they are perfect. listen, behaved, just overall very easy. but some then go thru a testing phase. they are finally comfortable enough that they are sure they are not going anywhere so they test to see what they can get away with. I have had some fosters do this It can take a few weeks, a few months and sometimes up to a year Not saying your new dog will become a demon, just that it is still early day.s
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast