Prepare for sudden cold
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare for sudden cold

newo2u is offline Junior Member

DefaultPrepare for sudden cold

I have four dogs who always vacation with us. In the past they have been summer vacations. This year we added a January vacation. We live in St. Petersburg Florida so the dogs are used to 'cold' of +/- 35 degrees and not for very long.
    Next week we will be in the Blue Ridge mountains at 4000ft. Tempuratures are expected to top out at 45 degrees with lows in the teens. We bought a sweater for the lab/chow mix as he gets cold easily, but nothing for the chocolate, black or lab/golden mix.
    Should I do anything otherwise to prepare the dogs for this?
    Sorry about this being my first post. I was just so excited to find an active lab forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I found this article, don't know if it will help you or not. The main thing is to watch your dogs for signs of being too cold. Watch their feet. Have fun!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

Right now here in Illinois it is 10 degrees. I just took my dog out and I check their pads to make sure there isn't any ice chunks or snow between there toes. If there is going to be a lot of outside time you might want to consider booties.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So at worst it's 20 degrees less than what they're used to. I don't think that's anything to worry about, especially if you are keeping them moving. If they were laying around outdoors or you were camping that might be a different story.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yeah unless you are camping I wouldn't think twice about it. when you go outdoors with them keep moving, don't leave them outside to "putter" longer than necessary. I go out for an hour long walks (or longer) with my boy in -40 (and the weather dropped pretty suddenly) and he was fine as long as we kept moving.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

newo2u is offline Junior Member

Thanks all. Today is was 80 degrees and they laid around in the sun. No camping, we rented a house. Neither the dogs or children have seen snow, so it should be fun.

I didn't think about frozen stuff in the paws; I'll have to keep an eye on that.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I have nothing helpful to add about cold exposure, just wanted to wave hi from south of the Skyway
    My boy has yet to see snow, maybe I'll get him up to my parents' place in northern Georgia to check it out.
    Let us know how it goes!

2LabsMom is offline Member

Our Lab and Lab pit mixes grew up in Central FL. We make Jan and or Nov trips to SC beach trips every year. Yes we are asking for punishment but at that time the dogs can do what they want on the beach so we all love it. It is not the mountains but has been in the 30's for highs when we are there for a week. Just keep an eye on them they will be fine. Now we have a Dane...that girl already has a coat bc compared to anything Lab her fur doesn't qualify! Have fun it will be beautiful!

Forever in our hearts Jake

dweck is offline Senior Member

Yes, caution w/the paws. If you're around streets that have been salted, you might want a bucket of warm water near the door to dip the tootsies in after a walk. The salt between the pads can be corrosive to their skin and cause ouchies.

And -- heh -- love the characterization of us as an 'active' board. Yeah. We're active all right!

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Just keep an eye on them.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast