After Two Days Off

Thread: After Two Days Off

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultAfter Two Days Off

due to 5" of rain on Monday - Tuesday, it finally dried up a little so Rusty and I were back after them again this morning. He couldn't wait. Even the first retrieve in icy water with 25 degree air temps and a 20+ mph N wind didn't discourage him. Within a half hour he had made his limit of 6 retrieves and we were loading up to get back home.

Cappy and Remi were anxious too ... it's been three days since they fetched a duck to daddy.

Tomorrow the winds are forecast to calm down to 4-5 mph from the West, but the temps are forecast down around 22 degrees. I'll have to fire up the propane heater for my Doodle boy. But I did that for Cappy and Remi when it was that cold also. I'm amazed by what a tough trooper Rusty has become.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Rusty looks very proud! A question... is Remi semi-retired? I bet it is important to get as many successful retrieves in for Rusty as possible?

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

What do you do with all those ducks?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wiscpayton View Post
    Rusty looks very proud! A question... is Remi semi-retired? I bet it is important to get as many successful retrieves in for Rusty as possible?
    Yes, Remi is retired full time now.

SharonaZamboni What do you do with all those ducks?
    We keep and eat about 10%. The balance is given to neighbors and the local Baptist church about 1/2 mile from here. No matter how much we give, they always want more (just like a church, huh?).

Recently we've made a more selfish deal. The owner of the only Italian restaurant in the area told us he loves wild duck. We brought him some cleaned and breasted Mallards in December and since then he's extremely happy when we bring him more. What's selfish about that? He insists on trading us entree items for the duck meat we bring. Makes it difficult for us to be as charitable with neighbors and the church as we have been previously. Bet he gets tired of duck a lot faster than we do of Italian cooking.