Boarding my babies for the very first time.... *gulp*!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boarding my babies for the very first time.... *gulp*!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBoarding my babies for the very first time.... *gulp*!

Next month my family and I are going on a ski vacation to the States (Helloooo Americans!!) and I will have to board the dogs. For the first time. Ever. For three nights and four days.

They will be going to stay with a good friend of mine who owns a boarding kennel (out of her home, no actual "kennels" except crates, lol) and is a fellow SuperDogs cast member. They get along well with her dogs and we have had summer BBQs there and such so it won't be the first time they've been there.

I am so worried though, my goodness. Mostly about Baloo's poop-eating (he will be going with a muzzle) and Monster's toy obsession and occasional guarding, combined with the fact that he can be anxious when in a new place. It may be anthromorphic of me, but I can't help but think that it will give him flashbacks of his prior abandonment experiences. It kills me a little to think that he might be thinking I have abandoned him, you know? It feels like my heart is being squeezed when I think of it, ugh.

I will make sure my friend is up to speed with the potentially problematic behaviour worries, and I know she will treat them fabulously and it helps that they know her already. . . .

But how do I feel better about this??? People who board, how do you do it!!??
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I've never boarded mine, so I don't know how to help you, but at least it's with a friend and not a "kennel". That should put your mind at ease at least a little bit.

When Willy was about 9 months old, we went away for a weekend and used a dog sitter in her home. It was someone that I worked with recommended, but we did not know her. When we left Libby was off to the barn to feed the horses with the young teenage girl! I think they had a blast there, the woman had two dogs of her own. That's the only place we've ever left them. Other times we've gone away we always had a friend or my parents keep them.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Monster will be with Baloo and Peanut. They probably have formed a "family"bond by now so I don't think he will feel abandoned if he's with them. You can always call your friend to check in on them too. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have no advice, I have never had to board any of my dogs but I have a feeling it will be harder on you than on them! It sounds like they will have a good time and this is a responsible person you trust. An ideal situation for you to be able to get away for a few days! I completely understand your anxiety, I would be a basket case...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I only ever boarded mine for a week once and the only thing that helped was the other dogs that I met on my travels !

They came back with KC so that was distressing, but if that's all that the problem is then it's not much of a problem.

Are they being boarded together Kate ?

Yup they will be together, I will be bringing their home crate, and Baloo and Monster are always crated together so that won't change. My friend boards in her home, basically, as a side business. She usually only has a couple boarders there along with her 6 dogs (lol!) so they will be staying in her home with her and the dogs, just crated if she goes out.

She lives out in the boonies on a huge property so they should have fun, Baloo LOOOVVVEEESSS Keno (her borzoi) and Kobie (border collie cross) so hopefully he won't abandon his little brother to go play with his buddies.

I wish facebook wasn't blocked at work, gah! I will post pics of one of our summer BBQ/pool parties when I get home.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo's good buddy Keno is a "featured SuperDog" on the site:
    SuperDogs - Featured SuperDogs - SuperDogs® - The Worlds's Most Popular Dogs

We jokingly call him Fabio, cause he is gorgeous, male model material, lol!!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I had to leave Saba for 3 weeks last year when I was in Europe with my family. I went through a lot of worry before it, but since he was staying with Karina, I knew that Abby and Helo would keep him busy. Now, Karina might have thought I was a bit crazy since I packed up his favourite toys, his bed, put his food into separate ziploc bags (portioned for each meal) with his name on it as well as a long list of his "likes, dislikes, med info, vet info" etc. that I posted on her fridge... LOL That list also included the fact that he "likes to be tucked in at night or he won't go to sleep".
    And when I came back and picked him up... he was happy to see me, said hello, gave kisses, wagged his tail and went back to playing with his pals. I think he was depressed to be home for the first few days without Abby and Helo
    I'm sure they'll be fine for just a few days, it'll be a vacation for them too.

justine is offline Senior Member

They will be fine.. especially in someone's home.

Where are you going for your trip!?

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

I think you have nothing to worry about - they'll be fine especially since they are with your friend in her home. (Of course, I know all of us dog people worry regardless when leaving our dogs!)

The lady who comes in to walk Dex everyday normally has him when we go away. She takes him home with her on the day we are leaving and he has loads of fun on her property which has plenty of land. He has known her since he was a pup so really she is part of the pack so to speak. Sometimes we think he doesnt want to come home from her house when he has been there!!

We've only had to board him a couple of times in proper kennels and I must admit it was much more stressful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast