What do you think? Upset stomachs

Thread: What do you think? Upset stomachs

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you think? Upset stomachs

As many of you read from my previous post with the pics of the three dogs, Ive had problems with upset stomachs with the three dogs. Vet checked them and gave me antibiotics and de-wormers. I finished the treatment, yet both Misha and Homer still have loose, yellow stools, while Vermont is 100% perfect now.

Im begginning to think it could be the food, since the puppy is on Proplan puppy Large Breed and both Misha and Homer are on Prescription Diet j/d. Its strange, I have been feeding this food to them for more than 2 years without a single problem, they both love it, they have beautiful coats, maintain their bodyweights, etc.

What do you think?

Tomorrow Im taking samples for analysis but Im just puzzled they are still having loose stools after going through the medications as prescribed... specially Misha, she has always had a pretty tuff stomach (shes a Labragoat).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

What did the vet give the antibiotics for? What was the diagnosis? Did he check for worms, or just prescribe it "in case"?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm betting the vet gave Metronidazole to try and get everything under control. If they are still having issues, then obviously there is something else going on. Were the stools checked for giardia?

Since Vermont is now normal and the other two are not, I too might assume it was the food. Maybe switch to ProPlan, which is working for Vermont, and see if it clears up? JD might have had a formula change that is now causing it to give your two loose stools. If you can, buy a small bag of the ProPlan Chicken and Rice, NOT the Shredded Blend, and see if that helps.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

It could definitely be the food.
    Java and Moka were both on TOTW High Prairie for over a year, doing great. Suddenly one day both ended up with diarrhea and repeated accidents in their crates.
    Luckily, they are on a rotation diet with multiple different foods, but the High Prairie was the only one they had in common those days. I eliminated that food and the problem went away.
    Still have no idea why it happened. I returned the food and got a new bag of the same stuff, tried it again with the same result.
    I later found out TOTW had a formula change-they added more bison and less venison because of a supply issue with venison.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I'm betting the vet gave Metronidazole to try and get everything under control. If they are still having issues, then obviously there is something else going on. Were the stools checked for giardia?

Since Vermont is now normal and the other two are not, I too might assume it was the food. Maybe switch to ProPlan, which is working for Vermont, and see if it clears up? JD might have had a formula change that is now causing it to give your two loose stools. If you can, buy a small bag of the ProPlan Chicken and Rice, NOT the Shredded Blend, and see if that helps.
    Thats exactly what the vet prescribed, metronidazole. Tomorrow Im picking up a sample and send it for analysis, but at this point Im beggining to blame it on the food. Of course Ill wait for the results before doing anything. At least they dont seem that affected, they still eat like normal labs and play as usual. Its just a PITA cleaning up after them...

Thanks for the advice

Swamplily is offline Senior Member

Might want to give them some pro-biotics.
    Abby, Blk Lab, born 12-15-05
    Taco, Beagle, gotcha 1-15-09
    Ernie - Y-Farms Honest Ernesto, CGC, Blk Lab, born 10-4-09

Today Im getting the results from the stool analysis, lets see what comes.

Misha is doing a little better and Homer was also getting better until the AS.#$.. dog decided to eat his poop yesterday while I was at work... I want to strangle him grrrr! and of course this morning again I got a yellow loose stool. Man how I hate his poop eating habit...

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Let us know what the test results are.... sending you good thoughts...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

So we finally got the analysis results and it was shigella (its something similar to salmonella but not as bad). The three dogs have been on treatment since last thursday (they puppy fell sick again). They are doing great now and Dad is happy because it is easy to clean up after them again!

Im glad it wasnt the food. They are also taking some probiotics to help restore their digestive tracts.

Vermont is finally starting to eat like a Labrador and hes doing great on the Proplan Puppy (I decided to change his food over from Royal Canin, I think Proplan is better)