My puppy is a chicken!!

Thread: My puppy is a chicken!!

gbro223 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy puppy is a chicken!!

Was anyones puppy really scared of everything when they were young and then grow out of it? My 11 week old is a super chicken! I could understand if she was scared of the vacuum cleaner or thunder..(which she is). There was one time that I took her out the front door and there was a couple of kids running down the road laughing and screaming and playing and we didn't get 3 feet out the door that she let out a whelp and tucked her tail, tripped and took off towards the door as fast as she could! Then another time there was kids playing loudly in the neighbors yard after dark and she got spooked... I cant even get her to go potty because she gets so scared!! I have to take her out back to get her to do something and she still is so scared she is just pulling trying to get back to the front door lol. And also dogs barking in the distance scares her so badly also!! I am really hoping this is a puppy thing and she will grow out of it!! Anyone had any experience like this? And grew out of it? Just wondering what other peoples puppies did when they were little.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

IMG_2763.jpg
    That first picture is a few weeks old, i found one i took a few days ago.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Oh the poor little thing! I did find several links, here is one of them. http://www.petiquettedog.com/dog-behavior/dog-afraid/
    I think you need to work with your puppy to really trust you. Once that trust is built, she will look to you when scared to see how you are reacting. Be a comfort to her. How long have you had her?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I got her at six weeks, so 5 weeks now. Also i have two kids 2 1/2 and 9 so its not like she hasn't been around loud, screaming, laughing, wild kids, and she has never acted scared of them when they are acting wild. She just is scared of strange kids far away i guess.
    Last edited by gbro223; 01-07-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Obviously, you have just a wee pup. As best as you can, introduce these new sounds and sights as gradual as you can. There are "sounds" that you can download as apps on the Internet , so you can control volume etc. Start while she is happy and eating...play a sound in another room at a low volume. Next meal move a little closer... Next meal, same distance the volume a little higher etc, etc, etc.

Do not coddle/praise her in her fear, as that will only reinforce that she is right to be afraid. if she can deal with your own nosy kids, she has a good start!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)