Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness

All4Dixie is offline Member

Red faceGentle Leader Easy Walk Harness

When Dixie sees another animal, she will pull like crazy. I have tried the prong collar over the past few months (and have been using it properly) and she pays no attention to it when she sees another animal. When there aren't any distractions though, she heels perfectly. I researched the Gentle Leader Head Collar but decided against it because it seemed that quite a few dogs did not like having the collar around their face. I am now leaning towards the Gentle Leader Harness because I haven't read any negative reviews for it yet. Has anyone here used it and know how it works?
    He who does not own a lab does not know the definition of the word exercise.
    Lovable
    Adorable
    Beautiful

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I use the head collar and the harness. It works for Bentley and Mae but not Tank. With Tank is helps a little but he still pulls hard especially when its a small dog. I have just started taking treats with me and putting him in a sit and stay when we see another dog. I also decided to start using two leashes. One attached to the harness the other the choke collar. I use the choke collar to correct him when he starts to whimper and try to pull forward.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't think changing the tool will necessarily help. Not saying not to try just that a tool is just a tool.

You may already do this but:
    1 - scan the environment when you are out. as much as possible try to spot the animals before your dog.
    2 - immediately talk to the dog. get their attention. pull out the treats. keep talking.
    3 - personally, I show them the animal once they are paying attention to me. "look at that squirrel" and then once they see it I get their attention and treat. Sometimes I may have to wave the treat in front of them.
    4 - keep walking. You can potentially use a prong correction if the dog doesn't redirect.

Regardless of the tool (collar) you use - you will have to work on the training part.

Regarding the GL Harness, I have used it. It's ok with some dogs but with some it irritates the skin under their legs. same with the lupin and the easy-walk. depends on the size of the dog and how nicely it fits. I have pretty much used all the different "mainstream" training tools with various fosters as no one tool works for all of them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What Tanya said x 1,000!!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

The Gentle Leader is a great collar concept but not the best implementation of the idea. Holt makes a much better one that is padded and has adjustments for both sides so it won't ride up the dog's nose. It does take the dog a bit to get used to it but I have yet to use it without immediate positive results...

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

I agree 100% with the advice given by Tanya.

I tried the gentle leader collar and it was ok. However, what i didnt like about it (or the Halti) is that the lead attachment is under the chin. I use the 'Canny Collar' with Harvey, the lead attachment is behind the head. In addition, you dont need to use another collar, if i want to let Harvey off, i just unclip the lead and do up the Canny collar. Saves Harvey carrying all that addional 'hardware' around his neck

As for harnesses, i have tried them and just don't like them.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have used both. A strong willed dog (or one in the throes of a full blown squirrel chase!) can still pull quite a bit. When I got the first one for Jefferson, my obedience instructor said she had NEVER seen a dog pull so hard in the Gentle Harness. For walks I use the Gentle Leader. And no, they did not like it at first and kept trying to paw it off. They have adjusted and now wait until after our walk is over before trying to paw it off! I still use the harness--for beaches and places where I am going to be playing fetch with them.
    The harness can rub them under the front legs if not fitted properly--Teddy got rubbed so raw he bled on the first walk I used it on him.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

In addition to what has been said above, maybe work on "leave it". My Maggie is very prey-driven, but with training now will look with interest at squirrels but not pull or break stride on a walk. In case you're not familiar with this command, "leave it" is to tell your dog that It is not available. Indoors, this command is great to tell your dog that the sandwich on the table is not for him. Outdoors, the dead animal or live squirrel is not to be smelled or touched, but looking is OK.

I've never used a halti on either of my dogs, but have used a harness -- some people say that it just makes the dog pull more, but that wasn't the case for my dogs. Corby graduated to a flat collar years ago, and Maggie uses a chain (training) collar or a prong on walks.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

^^^^^ What everyone said. I worry about a neck injury with the Gentle Leader. If they suddenly bolt, it pulls their head back in the opposite direction. The easy walk harness rubs under the front legs. Even if you pad it, it doesn't stop pulling. Best is a firm "leave it" as you approach the distraction. Keep walking and give a "good leave it" treat when past. Soon they walk past the distraction and look to you for their good leave it treat. Also remember a short leash gives you more control. Do not tense up on the leash as you approach distraction or they will get the signal that there's something to get excited about.

All4Dixie is offline Member

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post such thoughtful replies.

I have not really worked a whole lot on "leave it", which I will start on today.

mitziandjudysmom - That is also another thing that I noticed about the head collar.

By the way, this pulling is a new thing to me because I have always owned toy dogs.
    He who does not own a lab does not know the definition of the word exercise.
    Lovable
    Adorable
    Beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast