Q for the coneheads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for the coneheads

dweck is offline Senior Member

DefaultQ for the coneheads

Shocking to admit, but here goes: Wesley is in a cone for his first time ever with this leg injury.

For those of you w/experience: Do you leave it on round-the-clock? I did take it off him to sleep last night. And to eat this morning. He cannot navigate the bowl w/it on.

Which concerns me from a water-intake standpoint, too. Should I be worried about that?? He cannot drink wearing the cone.

He has also SWORN ME to secrecy regarding any photographic evidence of him wearing the thing. Should I even dare to think about taking a picture of him wearing it, thereby permanently damaging his oh-so-fragile mojo, he has promised me a turd under my pillow.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Any time that I'm not actively watching him I leave the cone on. Sleeping we keep it on - I think it's easier to get used to if it's always on, versus sometimes on and sometimes off - but that's just me!

Can he get to the water with the cone if it's elevated? In a shallower/deeper container (we had to use a tupperware for my Mom's dog). Will he slurp down a bunch of water when you take it off? Or does he drink alone

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Boomer's cone is only taken off to eat and go potty; he just stands there starring at me (you know the look....) and won't do anything with it on. He can drink water though; you may need to trim Wes' so he can drink. I do keep it on at night b/c the one night I didn't he tore open his stitches. At first I felt so sad for him and guilty, but now (2 weeks later) he's pretty much accepted it as a fact of life. I'm sure Wes will do better with it than Boomer has...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

He's had it less than 24 hrs. Let me see what he does tonight. Thx for the info.

He was pathetic when we got home last night. Hadn't learned to walk w/his head up. So he was stoop-shouldered (a sympathy ploy perhaps? or a hopeful stance to have the thing slide off?) and banging into just about everything: door jambs, kids, steps, chairs.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I normally only put it on when I wasn't able to watch them. Mocha was terrible about running into your shins and it hurt like heck so I didn't put it on her more than necessary.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

This was Toby's answer to wearing a cone when unsupervised:

A close up:

Notice the tape on it? that was from Repair Job numbers 1 and 2. He didn't want me to do a third.

Toby and Boomer must be related... I should have taken pictures; but why? You have supplied the visual to my 2 week battle with the cone

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

All I remember was being rammed in the back of the legs by the damn cone every 2 seconds - hurt like a bi...... well you know.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Every dog I have had wearing a cone kept it on 24/7. They learn how to navigate, eat and drink with it on. Diesel most recently, with his cataract surgery, had it on for a month all the time.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio has had his on for 1 week straight, with no issues except for the first 2 days where he had to pretty much relearn how to walk through tight spaces (doors, between the table and his crate...) or to climb stairs. He has no problems now. We did take it off last night for 1 hr, since his scar is pretty much healed up. We were supervising him though, making sure that he didn`t go for his crotch or his ear. He seems ok with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast