Feeding Dry Kibble and Water Dilemma---Help Please!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Dry Kibble and Water Dilemma---Help Please!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding Dry Kibble and Water Dilemma---Help Please!

I am sure this has been discussed before at some point, but I can't seem to find the info I am looking for and hope someone could offer some advice.
    Breezy ( my 5 year old black lab ) had always been the kind of eater that INHALES her food. I feed her Wellness Core dry kibble. I have tried anything and everything to slow down her eating. For quite some time now I have been putting her kibble in a rubber treat dispenser, and while this has slowed her down somewhat, I worry that she might be getting too much air as well. Last night made me start thinking I need to change the way I feed her. I fed her like usual, with the dry kibble in the treat toy. But I left her water out in her water dish. She must have inhaled a lot of air trying to get the kibble out of the treat toy and then also drank too much water right after eating, because shortly after she was done eating she threw everything up. It was the biggest pile of vomit I have ever seen. It really scared me. Most of it was still whole pieces of kibble, not even chewed. She was fine after that but I waited a while and then later gave her some scrambled eggs, which she ate no problem. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, how long after eating do you let your dog have access to water? Should I withhold the water also before eating, if so for how long? Also, should I stop feeding her kibble to her in her treat toy and find another way to feed her? I don't know how else to slow her down! Thanks so much in advance for any help!
    ~Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

I've never withheld drinking water from any of our dogs ever, I wouldn't think that's a great idea.

One way to slow her eating down may be to go to feedings from a regular bowl but small amounts 6-8 times per day.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I feed Bean from a big Kong Wobbler. He also has water out all the time. Do you usually withold water for a while after feeding? Maybe he just drank too much? Hopefully, your dog's vomiting is a one-time thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, I usually don't withhold water from her, ever. But I could swear I read somewhere that it was advised to do so, after eating dry food that is. Breezy never vomits after eating so I think it was a one-time thing. I will look into the Big Kong Wobbler, thanks!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

My Diesel is a hoover too. I tried everything from hand feeding to slow him down (don't do this it may create a "diva" eater).

First - never deny any animal access to water unless directed by your vet!

Try to have her in a calm mental state when you feed her - don't announce it's feeding time & get her all excited.

You can try a raised feeding station - I have Diesel's at a height so his head isn't hanging way down to reach his food.

I add a bit of water to his kibble, don't soak it, just barely cover it which makes him nose around a bit more to get it.

Put a large rubber ball into her dish - this has worked the best for us, Diesel has to work around it to get to his food & luckily never clued in all he had to do was take it out of the bowl to hoover his food.

You should also search "bloat" on here & read up on that, just good knowledge to have if you have a Lab that hoovers food.

Stuffing the toys with her food works, but may create a finicky eater later, keep in mind when she ages you don't want to have built a habit fit for a puppy when a senior dog may not be able to spend all that time & effort to get their nourishment.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I feed my Labradors a 'kibble soup' its about a 3/4 cup kibble and a cup of water...slows them down eating pretty well.

I've always done this, never any vomit.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I feed my Labradors a 'kibble soup' its about a 3/4 cup kibble and a cup of water...slows them down eating pretty well.

I do the same thing. If the kibble floats in a bit of water, the dog is much less apt to drink too much water after to rehydrated the kibble in their stomachs

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post

I do this also. It is the one thing i have found that does slow Harvey down when he is eating.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I don't have your problem. We have to often time coax Sophie to eat. She still gets distracted really easy. I always have water down for her. If you google "dog dishes to slow down eating" there are several options. Here is one of them.
    Eat Slower Pet Dishes LLC
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I don't have your problem. We have to often time coax Sophie to eat. She still gets distracted really easy. I always have water down for her. If you google "dog dishes to slow down eating" there are several options. Here is one of them.
    Eat Slower Pet Dishes LLC
    Thanks for the link! This bowl looks promising. I've already tried the brakefast bowl but that didn't work at all for Breezy. She still scarfed down her food. This one looks good, though. I'll give it a try! ( Well, Breezy will give it a try.) The thought of bloat really scares me, and in one of my books they suggest withholding water an hour before and an hour after eating to lessen the chances of bloat. I've never done this, but wonder if I now should?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast