Tank got a hold of one of my pet rabbits
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tank got a hold of one of my pet rabbits

deidra is offline Senior Member

ExclamationTank got a hold of one of my pet rabbits

Some how Oreo got out of her cage and I had the dogs out running since I couldn't find her(the rabbit) I thought maybe she was in the neighbors flower garden and I would look for her later. I had the dogs out out for 5 minutes and I called them in and all of a sudden he went flying under the porch and Bentley was right behind him. They chased her out all the while me and my mom(who had just pulled up from work) were telling them leave it and I got Bentley and threw him in the door(not literally but hurdley put him in). So then I say my mom in-between Tank and Oreo and then Finally I got Tank but he almost bit me in his craziness! Finally I got him in the door and put him in his crate. oreo seems to be fine except from the few scratches on her nose and he did get her since I saw slobber but no puncture wounds. I'm keeping and eye on her to make sure she is ok. I put her back in with her buddy Trigger(which is a girl but we didn't know that when we named her) she hopped around and seemed overjoyed to be back with her. She ate her pellets and dried fruits and drank water.

What scares me know the most is Tank acts the exact same way with little dogs. There is a Boston terrier down the road that is always loose and comes in my yard at times. Then there is an older pug also that is loose so I have to avoid 4 roads on the walk with him to just be safe. I know that if he got a hold of one he would kill them Mom said we can not afford a trainer right now and it may be awhile till we can. Which that was 4 years ago!! I've contacted a few behaviorist and they all said if we can't get a trainer in avoid all the roads with little dogs if if I can't get a basket muzzle. Now after seeing this I'm highly thinking about one. Should I go with the basket muzzle or will it make things worse?
    Last edited by deidra; 01-03-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Oh Deidra, that must have been very scary! Thank goodness you mom came home in time to help you avoid a disaster. If you are really worried about him getting a hold of a smaller dog or one of your bunnies again I would imagine that type of a muzzle would be very helpful on walks or in your backyard.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 01-03-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: corrected word
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Moses is offline Member

A muzzle will help, but also obedience training would be good. Even 2 basic field commands will help. (Release and Leave it) Stay consistent in your training. Since he is 6, he still may have a tendency to continue that behavior, but a muzzle will keep other animals protected (as well as your hand). Scary to think he almost got you in the frenzy.
    .....And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. Exodus 2:10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

he does have a lot of Obedience and knows release and leave it and I have put him up to the challenge a lot of times(one of them is in my siggy pic). My uncle also has a lot of property and there have been a few times we spot a raccoon or something and with a strong leave it he listens. I don't know what got into him. he has also grabbed some food he wasn't supposed to and a strong release has worked. next time I get some money I will order a basket muzzle and get him one.

Moses is offline Member

May have just been the excitement of the moment too. I do hope your rabbit will be ok. (((((HUGS)))))
    .....And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. Exodus 2:10

bett is offline Senior Member

i can' t answer for loose dogs, but it's kinda like wanting to train the hunting out of the dog.

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

I wonder if the muzzle will do much good in a situation where just the weight of a large dog could kill a small dog or critter? Do you think a gentle leader might be more in order? It makes even large dogs very easy to control and although it takes a bit of getting used to, once you have control of a dog's head, you've got control of the whole body.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

You can teach them to be 'soft' with the bunnies.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Here's a couple more;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast