My yard is a wreck
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My yard is a wreck

DefaultMy yard is a wreck

We got our 2 labs about a year and a half ago. When we got the first one, we had a nice green yard and a clean house. Now, we have 2 grass patches in our back yard and the rest is dirt. With dogs that wrestle and roll around in the dirt, you can imagine how much dirt they bring in the house in their coat even after brushing and cleaning them with wipes. My first question is does anyone else have this problem? What did you do about it? We have to change our AC filters ALL THE TIME. The inside of our house stays covered in dirt. Our yard looks terrible. If I replant grass, the dogs would just eat it, dig it up, or run it over, and it would never have a chance to grow. Any suggestions? Ideas for the landscape that wouldn't hurt the dogs. Obviously gravel or mulching the whole yard isn't going to happen. Now I know why Caeser Milon's dog center is all blacktop. Help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Don't leave them out there?

Attend to exercise/potty duties by snapping on a leash and walking them?

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Dani is offline Senior Member

I have two labs and my yard isn't a mess or my house for that matter. It's hairy but that's it. I don't leave them out unsupervised, but we exercise or train daily. So I'd suggest not leaving them out there unattended.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    Don't leave them out there?

Attend to exercise/potty duties by snapping on a leash and walking them?
    I agree, don't leave them outside unsupervised.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

That's my thought, but my wife has a different philosophy. It's like children if you have them, you know what I mean. Both parents have to be on board with the methods of raising them. My wife's thought is that they need to go outside on their own and run off energy and get exercise. My thought is that we need to just walk them and take em out on a leash to potty. I work alot more and she is at home more to tend to them as she wants. She's probably not going to go with my method. She said that's what we bought a fence for.
    Last edited by Shima; 11-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Well then your wife will just have to deal with a shitty yard and dirty house then, won't she. Dogs are not self-entertaining/self-exercising. Part of being a responsible dog owner is for YOU to train and walk them to expel their energy.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

dweck is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    Well then your wife will just have to deal with a shitty yard and dirty house then, won't she. :

Okay, I just burst out laughing.

So yes, either resign yourself to a yard that looks like the Yucca Flats Nuclear Testing Site.

Or hire a dog-walker.

I've never really understood the plunk-outside theory behind dog ownership. I know that if I put Wesley outside and closed the door, hoping/praying/waiting for him to potty and then run himself into a contented state of exhaustion, I'd be waiting an awful long time. More likely as not, he'd just stand there with that mopey/googball look on his face: Okay, dad. Now what??

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Wow, that would be a horrible situation to deal with. I agree you both need to be in the same mind set when it comes to how you handle your dogs. Before we got Bella my husband and I researched and talked and talked about how we would train a dog and where the boundaries would be and what we would allow and when. I'm sorry you must be so frustrated with your mate not being on the same page with you.
    When we are home, out dog is outside with us to play, and exercise. She usually does her potty business when we are out there so that is taken care of at that time as well. And besides that we walk and run with her, playing although a form of exercise to me just isn't enough. A tired dog is a well behaved dog, they won't have the energy to tear up your yard. Labs are highly intelligent dogs and can be trained NOT to eat the grass, it sounds like they are bored and a bored lab is destruction waiting to happen! A little nibble here and there is normal but eating up the yard like that is way out of bounds IMHO.
    I wish you well, and hopefully you can ask your wife to read the comments to your thread so she will see that it's a win-win situation for the both of you and your dogs for boundaries, exercise and training to be in place.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

While I'm glad everybody agrees with me, I wonder if anybody can show me something in print that confirms my way is the right way, so I can show her that we need to change our pups' exercise and potty methods. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shima; 11-18-2009 at 02:50 PM.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I ended up getting rid of what grass I had left (in my back yard) and put down mulch and rocks. The dogs love digging for moles out there and not just the dog traffic (I have 4 labs) but my backyard is shaded and doesn't get much sun. Weeds did great but didn't look so nice! Plus mowing dirt was not good for my sinuses!!
    I had a landscaper do it. You could do that and add nice shrubbery, etc. It has worked out great for me and the pups.
    As far as the inside goes; yeh, I have to agree with Amy. There are times I get tired of cleaning up dog hair and dust but then I think of all the love these guys give me and every push of the vac is well worth it. I'd rather have the love than a perfectly clean house!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast