NLR: Need Shih tzu resources
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR: Need Shih tzu resources

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR: Need Shih tzu resources

Hi all,

I´ve been looking for a dog for my parents (they are almost 70), they are ready (or actually it IS a indispensable) for a dog after 3 years since our beloved cocker passed away.

My friend the vet is offering me a Shih tzu (it´s family bred but he told me both parents are excellent dogs). Anybody knows if these are good dogs?

Here´s the facts: Pup would definitely be spoiled by my dad, sleep on the beds and be treated as a person, mom will be the boss. Older niece 21 lives with my parents, and full time cleaning lady has a 3 year old girl.

On weekends wreaks havoc, all four (my three brothers plus me) families eat together at my parents on saturdays, all the grandchildren range from 3 to 21, only 2 boys (3 and 14) and the rest are 6 girls, 5 and over til 21.

You think this breed would be an OK addition? My dad has become quite a loner now (and a bit of an "oger") and a loving dog would do him great. For his daily exercise I would probably hire a dog walker.

No large dogs because of the jumping and rough playing around both elder people and young kids, but I don´t want a nervous histeric barker little dog (i.e. a mini schnauzer), I want something that will be friendly and playful, and specially a little shadow for my dad...

Anybody has experience with this breed or could recommend good resources for learning about them? I´m not into little hairy furry dogs so I don´t know a thing about them...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

My friends have a Shih Tzu and he's a real doll. He LOVES kids. I have three (ages 2-8) they have a son (8) and a baby on the way. He is a suck and a lap lover. When they take him camping he sleeps in the sleeping bag with my friend.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

joflake is offline Senior Member

A few people here at work have small children and shih tzu's. I've never heard of any problems. Our friends who are at our house a lot have one also and he's a really good friend of our dogs. He's a cute little thing that just wants lovins on your lap. I was even considering one myself since my dogs are a little too large for a lap dog (they don't know that). I think it would be a good choice for your dad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

yep; i think it would be a great fit. i have a cocker/shizu mix. he thinks he is the ruler of the labs and can be a bit bossy at times but he is a GREAT dog! we want pics!!

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

We have two - a 3 YO and a 15 YO.

They are prone to yapping, they are guard dogs, giving lots of loving and love to play. Then you have the stalkers - everytime the cutting board comes out, so does the 15 YO, if you are not quick enough he will bark, then follow you around for a trat.

OOOPs, those are my dogs! Sorry!

Seriously, they need to be trained just like any other dog, they love to play, will rtrieve, give lots of loving and give you heart ache just like any other dog.

They do have certain diseases they are prone to - Cushings for one. Cancer. They can have breathing problems because of their noses.

Last edited by fanny&eddiesmom; 11-18-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding pics

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

My only worry about a small dog like that with older folks is if the dog gets under their feet. I have a dachshund that gets under my feet constantly and I don't know he's there till I trip on him.

Garth is offline Registered Users

They're fabulous companion dogs. I've had 2 of them. They shared the house with Jo, several Pugs & Chihuahua's. They all got along great but the more dominant one ruled Jo to the point if he was in the bedroom doorway & Jo wanted to come in, he'd stand there & bark because he didn't have the guts to get past him. Having said that, they were still the best of friends.

On the downside, they're very high maintenance with their coats & need grooming almost daily. You also need to watch their eyes. Because some of them protrude like the Pugs, they're prone to eye infections & in the case of one of my guys, eye ulcers.

Thanks for the input, looks like they could be the ideal partner. I also did some research that mentioned that they tend to be pretty lazy and require just regular walks.

The hair I guess will be an issue but they would have to take him to a groomer anyway and knowing my mom, she´ll prefer to keep the coat mid length.

The pups were born last week, I guess I´ll have to wait at least a couple of weeks before meeting them, but sure pics will come! At this point I´m more concerned about meeting both parents to see their personalities.

Stepping on the dog will definitely be an issue though...

brody is offline Senior Member

Shi's are marvellous - but any dog is an individual - so it's important to judge the one you have been offered very carefully

I keep my shi's and mixes in a puppy coat
    they are laid back generally not lazy (in my experience)
    and they are big enough and solid enough not to be too trippable
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

What´s your experience with housebreaking them? I read that they can be difficult to housebreak and train in general. This could be an issue, but in any case I´ve been thinking on keeping the pup the first couple of months to help with the training and socializing him/her with my two, and once he´s got the hang of it then take it to his forever home with my parents.

Would definitely stay with the puppy cut all her life, I can´t imagine dealing with a "show" type coat, and I actually think they look cuter with just enough fluff rather than the loooong straight coat and the ribbon over the head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast