Diesel is reluctant to eat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel is reluctant to eat

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

UnhappyDiesel is reluctant to eat

It started about a week ago, just with breakfast but not daily. Just some mornings he would look at his food like "okay, really?" and sniff then just stare at me wagging his tail low. I would coax him by taking out handfuls and having him eat out of my hand then he would continue once started but definitely not the with the same vigor and excitement eating usually gives him. Then other days he would dive in as normal. Now he did it today with breakfast, and again with his 2nd meal.

He's not walking away, he will eat if I coax him, but clearly something is wrong. The vet's office was closed today, I will try again tomorrow.

He's still playing, cuddling, lively, and poops are fine. But I'm still worried. Maybe it's a bad bag, but he's not vomiting & poops seem normal. Could he just be tired of the same food all the time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Blaise went through this at one point Roxy. Lasted for a couple of weeks and then he went back to wolfing down his food. If he has no symptoms of illness, I'd take the tack of lifting his bowl and offering it later. That's what finally got Blaise to stop his picky spoiled boy behavior. I think he liked eating out of my hand.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Blaise went through this at one point Roxy. Lasted for a couple of weeks and then he went back to wolfing down his food. If he has no symptoms of illness, I'd take the tack of lifting his bowl and offering it later. That's what finally got Blaise to stop his picky spoiled boy behavior. I think he liked eating out of my hand.
    Thanks Sharon Maybe I'll wait it out a few days, since he isn't outright refusing to eat or showing other concerning signs. I'll try this to see if perhaps he is just being a diva.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Don't fall for the wants a different food - and have to get on the food roller coaster. If he's eating his dinner, I'd gues it's not a bad bag of food. Try the one hour trick - and/or perhaps you are feeding more than he needs? Don't know if that's the case, but perhaps you could check into that...good luck. I do agree to wait if all else is well before having to spend at the vet IN THIS PARTICULAR case.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie does this often! Especially in the mornings. We feed her twice a day. Lately she has been reluctant to eat her kibble too! We have been considering trying another TOTW formula, since she might be getting tired of Pacific Stream. We have been BAD! We have been adding enticements to her food! Grated cheese, veggies, and sometimes sardines or tuna...She has never been a dog that wolfs down her food. She gets distracted, and will eat awhile, walk away and come back a couple minutes later. I think I will try the venison formula.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I hope it's just pickiness. Maybe finding a few different foods to rotate would keep him from being bored, if that's his problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    Don't fall for the wants a different food - and have to get on the food roller coaster. If he's eating his dinner, I'd gues it's not a bad bag of food. Try the one hour trick - and/or perhaps you are feeding more than he needs? Don't know if that's the case, but perhaps you could check into that...good luck. I do agree to wait if all else is well before having to spend at the vet IN THIS PARTICULAR case.
    I think the shock of omg he doesn't want to eat??!! Hit me pretty hard since he is SO very food motivated, especially by his kibble. He's about 65lbs so he gets 3 cups a day. Agreed, this particular case the vet can wait. I'm glad they were closed, otherwise I would have just booked it & gone without asking here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Sophie does this often! Especially in the mornings. We feed her twice a day. Lately she has been reluctant to eat her kibble too! We have been considering trying another TOTW formula, since she might be getting tired of Pacific Stream. We have been BAD! We have been adding enticements to her food! Grated cheese, veggies, and sometimes sardines or tuna...She has never been a dog that wolfs down her food. She gets distracted, and will eat awhile, walk away and come back a couple minutes later. I think I will try the venison formula.
    I know you did not ask for advice, but I've been down the picky eater road before and adding in special stuff and changing food just reinforces pickiness. Unless you want to cater to this for her entire life, I would nip it in the bud by not adding in anything or changing food for her. I did it for 11 years with my Dutch Shepherd who went for days without eating if I didn't add in something better.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon, I had had this with Zack in the summer. He'd got so used to having [dog appropriate] human food he didn't fancy his dog food and decided to hold out for something better. He lasted a day of 'fasting', then wolfed his breakfast down the next day. It IS scary, though, Roxy so I understand wanting to do something about it asap!

Quote Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
    I hope it's just pickiness. Maybe finding a few different foods to rotate would keep him from being bored, if that's his problem.
    I don't think that they have the capacity to get bored with food. That's a human concept. Mine have been eating the same flavor of Wellness for years now and are eager when it's put in their bowls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast