seperation anxiety?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seperation anxiety?

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Defaultseperation anxiety?

Does any of your labs have it? How do you control it? When I leave Jayson he barks, cry's and howls for at least a good 20-30 mins. Any suggestions on how to stop it?
    thanks
    Kristin

jayson

laika

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I can't help, sorry. I haven't been brave enough to leave Sophie alone! We took her to dinner on Christmas, and left her in my van. She didn't cry that I know of. She got several walks and got a bowl of water and managed to chew a hole in an armrest....other than that she did ok. I did find several links about the subject. Here is one of them. I hope it helps.

Separation Anxiety in Dogs, Causes of Separation Anxiety and Cures for Separation Anxiety
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

thanks for the link.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I try to make departures low-key and rewarding... don't make a big fuss when you leave, and perhaps do some training by leaving for varying periods of time. Also, do not make a big deal out of your return either!

By reward, I mean that I give my dogs something to snack on when I leave... marrow bones stuffed with a mix of plain yogourt, cooked carrots, rice (there are lots of options there) or just a storebought treat. Maggie had terrible separation anxiety when I got her (would chew things and howl) but is OK now, and I think both dogs look forward to some quiet time with a bone when I leave. Partly, it's the ritual that if I'm going out, they have to sit patiently and wait for their treat.

I don't crate them, but maybe that would help in your situation? Have you had Jayson since he was a pup or only more recently? Most dogs just snooze till their owners come back, it's us that worries that they're bored or lonely.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I can't help, sorry. I haven't been brave enough to leave Sophie alone!
    I'm a little concerned about this, if you're serious. What happens the first time you have to leave her alone?

i got him when he was 11 weeks old. he is crate trained. i give him a treat when i leave. thanks for the advice on making no fuss. i never thought telling him goodbye see you after work would cause a problem. i think im gonna try not saying anything when i leave.
    Last edited by kaykay; 01-02-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

deidra is offline Senior Member

Tank has separation anxiety and with him how I've slowly started to control it is doing a little training. I was watching "it's me or the dog" and they had a dog with severe separation anxiety. Put on your coat or whatever walk out the door for ten seconds and then walk back in. Then build up time. It will take awhile though. Also make sure he is WELL exercised mentally and physically before you leave. Maybe a little fetch time and then do some training while playing fetch make him sit,lay down ect.. to get his toy. If you want to ask your vet of how bad it is and if he needs medication or not to calm him down a little here is a website for it and you print it out and hand it to your vet and see what he/she says. With Tank he did not need medication(thankfully) and after watching its me or the dog and my vet giving em some tips it has helped him a little. Separation Anxiety Questionnaire
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't believe barking for 20 or so minute is considered separation anxiety (if so, extremely mild SA) but good to address the issue.

Jan's post is great advice. I would up the value of the treat you give. For example, for new fosters I often wait until I leave for work to feed them breakfast - i throw the food in the bottom of the crate. But usually what I do is give a special filled kong, even to my own 7 year old Rocky. I use kibble and peanut butter and freeze it but there are other options. My friend gives tripe sticks. Either way - try to think of something high value that will keep them busy for abit.

I leave the radio (or music) on as a distraction for the dogs as well.

Saying goodbye isn't making a fuss but it is likely now a "trigger" for the dog no matter how "matter of fact" you say it so it probably won't hurt to try and not say it. but this should also be tied in with NOT making a fuss upon your return (no HI PUPPY!! HOW ARE YOU!). matter of factly return home and continue on as is normal.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I can't help, sorry. I haven't been brave enough to leave Sophie alone[/url]
    If this is in fact true, it could be detrimental to a dog's development. Even when people take two weeks off to be with the puppy I recommend they make a point of leaving the house and crating the puppy. While we may never WANT to have to leave our dog, there is always a day when sometimes comes up (unexpectedly) and we HAVE TO. and if the dog was never trained to "manage" this it could be a true disaster. Dogs need to learn to be alone for a few hours - or they can become dog with severe SA.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If Jayson exercised in the morning before you leave? If not- exercise may make a real difference in his behavior. Tired dog = good dog, generally.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast