Homemade Treats?

Thread: Homemade Treats?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHomemade Treats?

Do many of you make homemade treats for your dog? I am looking into getting a dehydrator since I want to make Chuck's treats. I am imagining that dehydrating meats at home would be far less expensive than store bought treats and healthier too. What do you guys think, is it a worth while investment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I think in the long run it would be cheaper to go buy your own dehydrater. Plus it saves on buying your own treats. I save around 30$ a year from making my own.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    I think in the long run it would be cheaper to go buy your own dehydrater. Plus it saves on buying your own treats. I save around 30$ a year from making my own.
    It will be nice to save money, but I am really more interested to see if it is much healthier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

It is healthier to make your own. I do it since Tank can't ahve certain things and it is just easier to make my own.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

I bought a treat kit for my daughter for Christmas. My husband and daughter just made some called, Mambo Italiano for Charlie today! They had fun and I like knowing the treats are made from scratch! The treats are kinda like breadsticks -- we just had to taste -- they have parmesan and mozzarella cheese along with roasted peppers. Mark couldn't believe he roasted a pepper for the dog's treats! NO, our dog isn't pampered!
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Suzanne, Did Charlie really love them? I picked up a treat set for Choco for his last Christmas. Unexpectanly he died before I had time to make them and I have just never made them for Jack. Would love an up to date photo. Charlie must be getting quite big now.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Scout 8,
    The recipes that I have seen were made with things other then meat. I never thought about making them out of dehydrated meats. Interesting. I even have a dehydrator that I do not use.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

DefaultMambo -- yum!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieLabMom View Post
    I bought a treat kit for my daughter for Christmas. My husband and daughter just made some called, Mambo Italiano for Charlie today! They had fun and I like knowing the treats are made from scratch! The treats are kinda like breadsticks -- we just had to taste -- they have parmesan and mozzarella cheese along with roasted peppers. Mark couldn't believe he roasted a pepper for the dog's treats! NO, our dog isn't pampered!
    Charlie eats everything so it's tough to know if he likes the homemade treats any better than anything else. Last weekend we went through bit of a scare because he ate a balloon! I will gets some pic's up as soon as I can. He has grown a lot. I just weighed him this week, over 56 lbs. at 7.5 months.
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I dehydrate leftover chicken meat in the oven at low temps, that works well for what I want.

Here is a recipe that I got here at JL that's a tried and true favorite.

Raw beef or Chicken*liver*(1 container or approximately 1 lb. with juice)
    2 eggs; 1-tsp garlic salt (I use garlic powder); 3 cups of quick cooking oats

Put the first 3 ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix well. Pour into a large bowl. Add the oats a cup at a time - stirring carefully after each cup. Spread the mixture on a large 10x15 greased cookie sheet with a rubber spatula or wet your hands with water and spread. It should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes - remove from the oven, cut in half or fourths and loosen with a rigid spatula. Turn it over and bake another 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven, let it cool and break into chunks. It must be refrigerated and can also be frozen.

Also a tuna brownie recipe that is pretty good.

2 cans tuna packed in water, well drained
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 cups flour (add enough to make a stiff dough)

Mix together. Press or roll flat on a cookie sheet. About 1/4" thick.
    You can spray your hands with pam, crisco or olive oil when pressing dough (helps with stickyness).
    Bake at 250F for 30 to 45 minutes. Depending on your oven.
    Cut into 1/4" cubes or break ( I break them) Refrigerate, can freeze some.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"