Getting my Lab to come.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Lab to come.

DefaultGetting my Lab to come.

I just adpoted a mixed lab that's 5 months old and has had very little attention. I'm having some problems getting her to come to me. She does pretty well when me and her are alone and even when my wife's pug is around. But soon as my wife is around or say in the mornings when I get up and want her to leave her pet bed next to ours and come to the kitchen to eat before I leave for work she doesn't seem to listen very well. Or when she might be chewing on a bone or itching herself she acts like she doesn't even hear me or my whistle. Heck at first thought she might be deaf since she doesn't respond to whistleing....never seen a lab that wouldn't perk its ears when whistled at.

I've given her lots of treats and praise when she does come but just doesn't seem like it might be enough. Had a friend suggest a shock collar...really rather not have to result to that tho.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Just trying to get her trained well.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, don't get a shock collar, especially if the dog is new to your family. Get a 6ft long leash. Hook your dog up to it and just let the dog wander around with it on outside and in the house (and have your end in your hand) and when you want the dog to come, call the dog, and if he/she doesn't respond give the dog a quick, firm check with the leash, and when the dog comes to you, praise and treat. Keep doing this randomly throughout the day (or evenings when you are home). Once your dog gets that down, work on having the dog sit in front of you when you call it.

You could also check around your area for an obedience school.

Garth is offline Registered Users

What do you know about her background? MAYBE she was abused by a male in her past life? Is she more cooperative with your wife?

Please don't even consider a shock collar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Please google NILIF dog training This is a method of effectively training your dog while feeding. You'll find a number of links -- choose and use the one you like best.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

yeah really wasn't considering a shock collar.

All the history I know is that she was found as a dumped dog with her brother at about two months old...Bout it. She treats me and my wife both bout the same. Very friendly when she wants to be, just doesn't always listen. My wife doesn't do much with her tho since she's got her dog and I want this one to really take to me and know I'm its master so she doesn't end up with both of them as "hers"

Thanks for the input guys!!

dweck is offline Senior Member

Boy do I wish we still had that "Our Best Advice" sticky from the old board.....

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Samson is offline Senior Member

Food is the key - something really tasty AND smelly !

Not many Labs can resist cheese or liver !

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    Boy do I wish we still had that "Our Best Advice" sticky from the old board.....
    O yea???

Read on that NILF but its more for dogs that know all simple commands...unfortunatly not there yet. Hopefully soon tho!!

Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Food is the key - something really tasty AND smelly !

Not many Labs can resist cheese or liver !
    Cheese huh??

Thats what I was going to ask what should I should use that she wouldn't be able to resist...I'm using some lil jerky like sticks...and they're working just ok... What kind of cheese??? any other suggestions??

I REALLY think this would really help if I'd have something she just doesn't think she could live with out.

Thanks guys!!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Cheddar or if you can some Gorgonzola may do the trick !

Personally , if the Cheddar doesn't do the trick then I would consider trying some fresh cooked liver ! Jerky is OK but doesn't smell that good !

If you can't stand to cook liver then freshly cooked chicken might do the trick !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast