Comfortis saga!!!

Thread: Comfortis saga!!!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultComfortis saga!!!

I am here to tell you that the "pleasant tasting beef chewable" must be false advertising! LOL! We put Sophie on this because our vet says she has dry skin, and the topical drops are distributed by the oils in the skin. He felt Comfortis would work better for her. It works great! No fleas what so ever! BUT, as many of you know, it must taste like crap! She will sniff it out, since it has a distinctive odor! I have always had difficulty getting it down her. I have put broken pieces in weiners, and tried to hide the smell with a dollop of peanut butter on the weiner. I eventually got it down her. I tried PB popsickle bites recommended by another member. She wouldn't eat them. I tried chopping them up in a PBJ sandwich. She eventually got them down, but it was a fight. So this time my brilliant idea was to smoosh it up in icecream. So, I put it in peppermint ice cream. She likes peppermint, and my thinking was that it would mask the smell. Nope! She wouldn't eat it. Since I had already disolved it in the ice cream, I had to figure out a way to get it down her. Now, this is going to sound gross, but I put the melted ice cream in the fridge over night and thought I'd wait till she was good and hungry today. Still it was a no-go....sooooo...here's the gross part....I was eating scrambled eggs and bacon...she was mooching...so, I put eggs in her ice cream goo and crumbled bacon on top. She was eating it (grudgingly) so I sopped toast in the mess and had fed it to her! She's not supposed to have grain, but I figured a piece of toast was better than her not getting her meds at all!! Whew! Finally got it down her! I think we need to call the company and tell them our dogs won't eat these gross tasting and smelling tablets! Remember the puppy worm stuff that was banana flavored and they sucked it out of a tube? Maybe they need to try something like that! These chewables sure don't! The sad thing is, it's a great flea preventative!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If Sophie does not have fleas you could try dosing only if necessary. I don't use flea/tick preventative unless necessary and have never used it so late in the year as I have this year. I also don't use monthly h/w meds, my dogs are tested annually and i have been fortunate. *knock wood* I just don't think they need all those chemicals in their systems every month.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

We don't have a lot of heart worm problems in Oregon either. Our flea problem was the worst I have seen them this year! Our vet says many dogs are so allergic to fleas, that only 1 bite can cause flea allergy dermatitis. We did have cold weather lately. I read that the temp has to be below freezing for 3 consecutive days to kill fleas! We finally had that, so I am hopeful that the little buggers are all dead outside! Sophie was in such dire straits between 3 and 4 months, that we had to change her food and eliminate fleas all together. We sprayed and put her on Comfortis. I asked the vet before I gave it to her this time, if we could wait till spring, but he said he felt we should keep her on it. So I did. But boy, its hard to get down her!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

My vet also tells me I need to give these meds year round. I just can't justify the chemicals constantly, the problem with fleas is easy enough to correct. The fleas and ticks are still bad here but am hoping I have given the last dose of flea/tick prevention for a while.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Next month, I will see how she does if I wait a week or so longer. I'll see if she starts digging at herself.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Have you tried cheese with frozen Ice cream or peanut butter? With Bentley he was really smart so i took cheese and wrapped it around then smeared Peanut butter on it and let the peanut butter harden then gave him his pill. His pill was one of the dinosaur ones since it was an antibiotic.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Yep, tried it! She just eats around it! Those pills must taste really gross!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.