Walks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walks

morla is offline Senior Member

DefaultWalks

Hi! I was wondering, how much do you take your dogs or dog for a walk? Is once everyday good?
    SIMON

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

It depends on the dog. If it's a young, energetic dog, probably not. If it's an older dog, maybe. You need to tell us about the dog - age, energy level, etc.

lilypi is offline Senior Member

maddox doesn't really go for walks...honestly they do nothing for him, as he is way too high energy. he gets at least an hour of chuck-it daily, which allows him to actually run for that time, rather than prance along at my slow pace down the road. labs in general are pretty high energy, so especially during their younger years it's important for them to get a decent chunk of exercise daily. when maddox hasn't had enough, he becomes crack-dog. the indoor zoomies are generally an indicator that we need to get our butts outside to play. thank goodness for his glow in the dark ball, now that it's winter!
    Laura & Maddox

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

as mentioned above it depends. On the age of the dog and energy level of the dog AND what else they get as far as exercise goes.

Rocky is 7 and laid back, we do 20 minutes in the AM, 45 minute run in the evening and often a 20 minute walk in the evening. I would prefer to do more off leash stuff but at the dog park he just eats poop and I don't have a yard. When I can we go for off leash walks (usually weekends) that are normally 1.5 hours but he gets another smaller outing in the veining.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

morla is offline Senior Member

Simon will turn 4 March 15th. He is still pretty high in energy! I love taking him for walks! He loves it too!
    SIMON

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

On average Zack gets an hour off lead a day in the park, but we have a big garden so we can play fetch, throw hoops for him etc. We also play hide and seek (both with toys and ourselves!) which tires him. Depending on how much exercise he's had in the day, we'll sometimes go for a 20 minute walk around the block before his bed time.

As the others have said, it varies on a lot of things. Zack is just 2 and very high energy but in the winter when it's cold here he doesn't like going outside for as long as in the warmer months, thankfully!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe gets about an hour of off leash beach time 4x a week.
    3x a week she gets a 45 minute "saunter" <---her sniffing session.

in the afternoon, about a 15 - 20 minute walk/saunter.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree that it depends on the age/activity level of the dog. Bauer and I go out for 45-60 mins in the morning and again in the late afternoon/evening. We do different things; sometimes we walk, sometimes run, sometimes on leash, sometimes off leash. If we walk we always follow it up with a fetching session.

If both of you enjoy it (Bauer and I both enjoy it too) do it as much as you can! My golden retriever would get anxious when we went for walks, it was horrible. Since Bauer enjoys it so much, I make sure we go 2x/day.
    Last edited by BauersMom; 12-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Emma and Maxx get, at minimum, 2 long walks. One in the morning and one in the evening. They also love to play fetch in the back yard and run and play with each other. On the days Maxx does not go to work with me and everyone is gone our vet tech comes at lunch time to walk Maxx and play with him for 30 minutes. The back yard is the only place they run off leash though.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

As you have probably guessed, Sophie is high energy! She gets at least 2 walks a day. If I say, "Sophie, get you leash" she gets so excited an goes to find it! She loves her walks. Everday, my son brings over his boxer and they play and play in our backyard. We have a large yard, and the dogs get lots of running in. She loves to play fetch too. Rain or shine, she loves to go outside. We always watch her, she can get herself into trouble so easy!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast