So proud of Abby!

Thread: So proud of Abby!

Abbysmomanddad is offline Junior Member

DefaultSo proud of Abby!

Abby, our 9 week old yellow Lab is impressing us with how smart she is and how fast she learns. With help from all the great info on this forum and a lot of patience, we've been able to train her to go out to potty in just over 1 week! She will now go to the door and ring the bell we hung there. She will also bark if we take a little too long to get her out the door!

She sleeps very well in her crate that is in our bedroom with no fuss at all. She gets up once during the night, about 2-3AM to go out.

She's had 2 play dates with other dogs in the family. She acted very shy at first but after a little while she was chasing and playing with the other dogs and had a great time! We want to arrange a play date with a friends choc. Lab who is 2 weeks older than Abby.

I took a short video of her ringing the bell but can't upload it, I guess because it's an AVI file that isn't supported here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow! Sounds like she's a very smart girl. And also sounds like you're doing a great job!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Greg M is offline Senior Member

Awesome work! We are trying the bell too but we are carrying her from the kitchen to the sliding door(in the living room), then we ring the bell while saying "potty". Is that the way you are doing it? At what point did you let her walk over to the door on her own?
    A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
    -Grantland Rice

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
    -Chinua Achebe

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is wonderful. You have to post some pictures of Abby.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    That is wonderful. You have to post some pictures of Abby.
    I agree!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Abbysmomanddad is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Awesome work! We are trying the bell too but we are carrying her from the kitchen to the sliding door(in the living room), then we ring the bell while saying "potty". Is that the way you are doing it? At what point did you let her walk over to the door on her own?
    That is pretty much the same way we did it. We tried to estimate when she would need to go (about every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs), take her to the same door, bump the bell with her nose or paw, say go potty, let her out till she went, and praise/treat her when she did. Sometimes, at the beginning, she wasn't interested in doing anything. She would just sit on the porch and look at me. I would pick her up and take her out into the part of the yard I wanted her to go in and soon she got the message. It wasn't long before she went to the door all by herself. She loves to go out now - even in this cold weather.
    She just interrupted this post by ringing the bell so hard she knocked it off the wall! Just got back in. I forgot to add that after she goes I run and play with her. I try not to just take her out and immediately let her back in, except in the pouring rain.
    She is growing fast and able to do more things than I thought she would be able to at such a young age. She is able to jump up and back off of the couch and recliner. Initially I had plans to keep her off the furniture but gave up on that already.
    Have some patience as Penny is about 2 weeks younger than Abby (born 10/22/11)
    BTW, Penny is a beautiful girl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg M is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abbysmomanddad View Post
    That is pretty much the same way we did it. We tried to estimate when she would need to go (about every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs), take her to the same door, bump the bell with her nose or paw, say go potty, let her out till she went, and praise/treat her when she did. Sometimes, at the beginning, she wasn't interested in doing anything. She would just sit on the porch and look at me. I would pick her up and take her out into the part of the yard I wanted her to go in and soon she got the message. It wasn't long before she went to the door all by herself. She loves to go out now - even in this cold weather.
    She just interrupted this post by ringing the bell so hard she knocked it off the wall! Just got back in. I forgot to add that after she goes I run and play with her. I try not to just take her out and immediately let her back in, except in the pouring rain.
    She is growing fast and able to do more things than I thought she would be able to at such a young age. She is able to jump up and back off of the couch and recliner. Initially I had plans to keep her off the furniture but gave up on that already.
    Have some patience as Penny is about 2 weeks younger than Abby (born 10/22/11)
    BTW, Penny is a beautiful girl
    Thank you for the details on how you are working on this technique. It looks like we have the same exact method BUT...we have been ringing the bell ourselves rather than putting her paw or nose on the bell. We have no expectations at how fast she should be learning these things, we just want to give her the clearest, easiest instruction so she doesn't think we are crazy people! lol. Your Abby is gorgeous by the way!
    A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
    -Grantland Rice

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
    -Chinua Achebe

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

She is really cute and sounds very smart! Great thing about a Lab, if you exercise their body and mind and spend the time training you really do get an amazing, smart dog!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.