Need some help re: poop eating, I am at my wits end.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help re: poop eating, I am at my wits end.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some help re: poop eating, I am at my wits end.

Baloo is a poop eater. Wasn't always, developed this particular "habit" when we moved from the townhouse to the suburbs (he was 2) and a MUCH bigger yard, and when I wasn't around my brother would let him "play" in the yard by himself, where he took to eating poop, among other things. Fast forward a few years, and when he has the chance, will still scarf down turds. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is his own, other dogs, other animals, whatever. All fair game. :P

I manage it at home well, clean the yard all the time and when I suspect there may be poop out there I will take him out on an extendable leash to go to the bathroom. No problems. The issue is when we go for hikes/to the park.

There is an AWESOME park/hiking trail area near my house. It's not an official dog park, but there are always people there with their dogs, always off-leash. It is perfect for all three of my guys, Baloo and Monster can play ball for hours, Peanut can wander and sniff, everybody loves this place, it's like doggie disneyland.

The problem: Baloo will eat poop if he finds it, and I can't get to him fast enough to stop him ("Leave it" falls on deaf ears as he has already been "rewarded", in a sense). And then he will be sick for the next 12-24 hours, puking and diarrhea and general misery.

So. Here is where I need help. I could just not go to this place (or any other off-leash area, for that matter) or just leave him at home when I do. I don't like that for obvious reasons. I could leave him on a leash or long line when we do go, but I worry about his playing with the other dogs wearing a line, not to mention all the trees and bushes and such through the hiking trails. And depending on direction, it could still easily be a situation where I can't get to him in time to stop the poop eating.

The only other option I can think of is using an e-collar, and to be honest it hurts me to even type that, as I have been vehemently against their use for a very long time. I quit hunt training with him because I couldn't even stand seeing them used on other dogs. So the fact that I am even remotely considering this as an option for my own dog tells me how much I really do feel at the end of my rope.

What do you think? What would you do if you were me?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Greg M is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert by any means but after doing some reading on this forum, I think you will find your best course of action will be to pick it up immediately. There are pills you can give your dog to supposedly cause the poop to not taste so good but it appears that usually doesn't do the trick as many on the forum have found out. Good luck with Baloo!

P.S. Baloo is what my wife calls me lol, don't know why but it sounds funny!
    A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
    -Grantland Rice

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
    -Chinua Achebe

I do pick it up immediately, when it is in my yard, at home. My problem is that I can't make everyone else in public places pick up their dog's poop immediately. Grrrr.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Greg M is offline Senior Member

Oh, I can't get my own neighbors to pick their dog poop up off my own front lawn, I feel your pain! Hopefully maybe Lil Penny doesn't get caught up with poop-eating...I have caught her sniffing around it though. Am now picking it up immediately after reading your post!
    A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
    -Grantland Rice

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
    -Chinua Achebe

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Bruno did when he was younger...hasn't for about the last 2 years. I just scolded him whenever he went for it. He has a high desire to please me, more so than the girls, but they weren't poop eaters so I don't know if scolding would stop them. In any event, it makes Baloo sick, so you really have to control his environment. If it means keeping him away from places where you have no control, he will just have to miss the fun play areas until he learns. Why not try to find some other dog free areas or keep him on leash whenever outside of your yard.

Garth is offline Registered Users

I had a poop eater years ago. In desperation I asked my vet what to do. He suggested covering it with laundry soap powder. He assured me it wasn't poisonous & the first taste the dog got of it, he would stop. It worked!

Maybe if you did it with some poop in your own back yard, it MIGHT fix the problem when you're out at other places?

I would check with your vet first though. You guys might have different ingredients in your soap powder that ARE poisonous.

I have been trying to squelch this behaviour since it popped up, ugh. He will listen to "leave it" if he is on leash, and only if he is on leash. I think he knows I'll pull him away even if he doesn't listen so not to bother. If he's off leash, he will scarf it down faster, because he knows I'm coming to pull him away. Eating poop is self-reinforcing to him (god knows why, argh) so he doesn't really care if I am displeased with him.

And no high value "tradesies" treat can compete with the sinful poop pleasure. :P
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Laundry soap? Hmm... never would have thought of that. I'll call the vet and ask.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

Nothing you can do about it besides picking it up immediately. I've found once they've started doing this they either stop on their own or they don't. You can try an e-collar, which would be my next step before giving up all together which is the only other option for you. None of the remedies work.

Laura

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Kate,

HK wears an e-collar when we are off the property and may come across a turd of any animal. This is a winter thing with HK, she seems to like Poopcycles.

If she is on lead, it is never a problem. But the purpose of our walks, or visits to a dog park is to let her run. The e-collar works. I have it set low enough, yes I tested it on myself, such that it is at an 'I don't like that' level, not a painful level. My personal criteria is if it hurts, she will never feel it. She was also about two when this problem started and I tried everything I could think of to correct it. The e-collar is the only thing that works for us.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast