Adoptions

Thread: Adoptions

morla is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdoptions

Hi! I am just curious but how much do you think it costs to adopt a dog from a shelter?
    SIMON

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

All shelters are different. The one I got Bentley from was no charge if the dog did not have shots and was not neutered but they appreciate donations and if the dog is free charge it is usually a 30$ fee. Then the human society(same town) charges free-100 dollars. My aunt just adopted a dog and she had to pay 200$ since the dog had MANY health problems when the shelter took it in. So it ranges. I have seen from free-300$ around here when looking to adopt a dog before adopting Bentley.

Do you plan on adopting? Also no dogs are free of course. When we took Bent to the vet to be fixed,a check up,and shots and also micro-chipped it was a 400$ vet bill.
    Last edited by deidra; 12-27-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

shelter or pound or humane society?

cost is regional - and depends on the place. a pound is usually less staffed and cheaper - i have heard of $50 ish. one of the local pounds here has someone feed the dogs and clean the kennel twice a day - that is it. shelters can sometimes offer more care for the dogs and thus cost abit more. humane societies are often abit more than shelters. but often the cheaper and less care the dogs get the less you know about the dog. our local humane society is closer to $150 i think for an adult dog.

then you have rescues which are another thing altogether - and often abit
    ore expensive but should be fully vetted and you know alot more abbout the dog. but again it is regional - here in canada adoption fees are around 300 (or more) but i know in the south (us) they can be cheaper.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-27-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I don't know about shelters, but I know Labs4Rescue adoption fee is $350ish currently. As you said, though, the dog is fully vetted, spayed or neutered (if old enough), micro-chipped and have had some kind of temperment assessment. That fee also includes, if necessary, transportation from wherever they are to the adopter.

When I adopted Lexi 6+ years ago, the fee was $300 & included transporting her from Lake Charles, LA to Pennsylvania.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2LabsMom is offline Member

Yup 30-350 seems accurate, picked up Jake for $35 including neuter and shots (many moons ago)...Jasmin was half price at 150 b/c her personality was so shy (NOT that way now!) and we fostered her for a week...and of course add at least 200 immediately for vet and another 100 in misc -- NOT cheap ever LOL

Forever in our hearts Jake

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Depends on where you live....here you can expect $60-150 from a city/county shelter. Private Rescue will run $150-300...they usually do shots, microchip, heartworm, spay/neuter surgery and any other medical care needed as well as temperament test the dog. Our city shelter does not give shots, microchip or spay/neuter...the adoption fee pays for city licensing and a spay/neuter voucher that is worth $40. They also do not temperament test the animals. so sometimes a dog is adopted and returned because of animal aggression or other problems not noticed during the stay at the shelter.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

deidra is offline Senior Member

Also forgot to put. If you go to the shelters site they should have the fees on there. Or on there petfinder page if they have one.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

morla is offline Senior Member

Thanks everybody! I really want adopt a lab!
    SIMON