Just Labradors banner

We can't control Tessas' environmental allergies

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  kassabella 
#1 ·
We are really strugggling with her chewing her feet. She is on pred and weekly vet visits. I try to keep her off grass as much as I can. The top yard has been paved so no grass for these allergy Labs.

Do you think putting some booties on her would help or am I delusional.

#3 ·
Have you tried allergy shots? Some dogs get them monthly, but Bauer does ok with just a few shots during allergy season. Now that it's winter, he is allergy free and completely comfortable. I hope you can find some relief for Tessa.

#6 ·
My New years resolution is to learn how to quote several. lol

Vet is going to look at them after Christmas. She needs some testing which will cost lots of $$$ so waiting to see if we can handle it first.

#5 ·
Linda does Zoe lick with allergies or habit. I am wondering if Tessa could do it with stress or habit or whatever.

Her neck isn't looking good again so we presume the foot licking is allergies. Never red or anything. Sheesh we go 2 forward and 1 back with her.

#8 ·
My daughters dog gets uncontrollable allergies also. She can only do so much. The bathes help to get the yeast off of Dixie's skin, she give her allergy pills but Dixie still will practically eat herself alive. Emily resorts to the cone of shame and it works. Dixie lived in the Cone of Shame for over 2 months this year.

#9 · (Edited)
We're having the same issue with Dee.....though not as bad. We also wondered if it was actually allergies or whether it might just be a bad habit (like someone biting their nails). At this point I'm 95% sure most of it is allergies and that they are more than likely environmental. For the most part Dee's skin is absolutely fine. When we got her (at 8 weeks old) I did notice that she scratched a lot.....and also that one ear in particular was very dirty. It took quite awhile to get that cleared up, but as long as I watch them (and clean when necessary) they're pretty good now. I'm not sure why one ear is always worse. Anyway awhile back she had a major flare up with that one ear and ended up on antibiotics as well as an allergy med with prednisone in it. She was on this other med for about a week and I could already notice that the foot chewing and scratching had calmed right down. If it was just a habit then I couldn't see that the meds would have helped her itchies. The three areas she has problems with are her feet, her chin, and her back end......all parts that come in contact with the ground/grass etc. Touch wood she has zero problems with the rest of her skin. She's 7 and she's never even had a hot spot. Honestly I'm not sure that the seasons make much of a difference. Her feet are bugging her now and it's winter.

As for the booties I'm not sure. We walk in the bush and we have grass in the yard, so I don't think it would be practical to use booties and for the most part we've been able to keep the foot issues under control.....not perfect, but not bad either. When it acts up I have a cream that the Vet prescribed and that seems to keep it in check. We've talked about putting her on allergy meds, but so far have managed to avoid that. Allergies are sure frustrating though.

Just to add....We've been rinsing her feet with water after walks (which might help a bit). She doesn't spend much time in the yard....is usually in the house.

#10 ·
I've spent a LONG time and a good chunk of money on Kolby's allergies.. We did the VARL blood test for allergies and tried the injections.. Did them for a few months and he just got worse and worse. The only thing that helps him when it gets really bad is steroids.. but that is obviously not something recommended for continued treatment.

I saw a dermatologist vet a few months ago and they gave us a medicated shampoo, hydrocortisone leave-in conditioner and Duoxo spot-on treatments for his feet. In the summer, I bathed him twice a week (especially after any swimming) and did the spot-on treatments as needed. It REALLY helped control his itchies and chewing on his feet. He's also on grain-free dog food which seems to have helped. The formulas with duck as the protein seem to work best for him.

#11 ·
Poor Tessa. I feel so sorry for these itchy dogs! The trouble is that even though her feet and ears might flare up it could be due to something she's inhaled or eaten and not necessarily because of something her feet have come into direct contact with. I would be asking her vet about putting her on antihistamine as well, if she's not taking any already, and see if he thinks Malaseb foot baths would help or maybe Resisoothe Leave-On Lotion. You might need to use a bucket on the head just to stop her damaging her skin through all the chewing.

#12 ·
Janice vet seems to think it isn't food. I tend to agree, but do think she has a food allergy. Food it is different.

I did wonder if they inhaled it would make their feet itch. Seems odd that is the only place we can't get under control. Her neck, ears and belly act up, but I can control them. Also she isn't red on her feet.

I bath her in Malaseb twice a weekk for her yeast infections. She was on antihistamine, but off for a break.
I also have Betnovate C for her neck and groin if it plays up, and steriod spray for her neck. When I get my paper work done will post pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.