Need good thoughts and/or suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need good thoughts and/or suggestions

Kate is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed good thoughts and/or suggestions

Hi there. I donít post much but could really use some good thoughts and/or suggestions for my girl Misty.

I adopted Misty about seven years ago at the age of eight months or so. She had been at the shelter for quite awhile probably because sometime in her young life her front leg had been broken and never repaired. When I go to adopt a dog I really donít have a particular breed in mind, itís more the one that tugs at my heart the most (Iíd like to take them all but thatís just not possible). I had never had a lab before and I found this forum and it has helped me a lot.
    A couple of months ago I noticed that sometimes it seemed that Mistyís back legs would just go out under her. She didnít yelp or anything it would be like one minute sheís walking or running and then sheíd be on her butt. One time playing ball outside she was in a full run to the ball and then on her butt and she actually looked back at her hind end like WTH. She is ball crazy and basically wakes up and puts a ball in her mouth. We play outside in the morning and night and I have to kick it around inside while Iím getting ready for work, cooking, etc. The she started walking really slow on our walks but it was warm so I assumed it was the heat but it has since cooled off and she walks like she is a hundred years old. Then I was in the laundry room downstairs one day and she was walking around upstairs and you could hear a foot dragging, it turns out it was her bad left which is strange as it is shorter then the other legs. Made a vet appointment and he had me walk her around and he said yes she is walking worse then heís ever seen her before so we setup an appointment for a full set of x-rays. I have to add here that she does not like going to the vet and in fact I have to muzzle her so she doesnít bite anyone and hold her as tight as possible. Since Iíve had her she basically only goes to the vet for her shots and annual checkup.

When the vet came out from reviewing the x-rays his first words were ďthis poor girl, I donít know how she is walking at allĒ. She had more damage than just the broken leg and she now has arthritis in all of her joints. When I asked him how she was still chasing the ball the same his only response was ďshe is a labĒ.
    All we can do for her now is to try to control her pain and he said he had a few ideas for treatments and weíd start with one and see how she does but then may have to change it one doesnít work, etc. He started her on Rimadyl, Amantadine and two supplements Cosequin DS and Duralactin. We gave it a few weeks but she wasnít getting walking any better so he changed the Rimadyl to Metacam. This seemed to be better but then a couple of weeks ago she started tip toeing on her back leg and when she stands itís more like she is only standing on two of her legs so back to the vet we went. He examined her leg and didnít think there was a tear or anything so he added Tremadol 2 to 3 times a day and a shot of Adequan twice a week to the other medicine she was already taking. He thinks acupuncture could help her but because of her aversion to the vets this might be difficult to do. He did say in the next few months they would be getting a laser that might work better for her.

I've had to start walking her and Archie separately because she can't go as far or as fast and they really liked going together.

Iím posting in the hope that someone has gone through this and might have some other ideas. If we canít control her pain I will have a very difficult decision to make as the quality of life issue arises. What is worrying me today is she has not picked up her ball at all. Thanks for reading and any thoughts or suggestions you may have.
    Aren't we comfortable!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

So sorry for Misty's troubles. I don't have any suggestions..your vet seems to hitting all the possibilities I can think of. Good Luck.

Thanks for your good thoughts. It took me awhile before I posted but I'm really worried that we won't be able to help her enough.
    Aren't we comfortable!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. I am sorry I don't have any suggestions but definitely sending good thoughts your way.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear she's having so much trouble. I have heard positive reports of acupuncture from friends, but have no personal experience myself.
    Hope she starts feeling better!

Thanks all. The vet thinks that the acupuncture would really help her. He says he has seen dogs that have had it actually come in the next time sitting down and waiting for it. She has mellowed a little at the vet (still have to muzzle but I don't have to try as hard to hold her) and I was actually able to give her the shot without to much fuss (she runs away when I bring the Frontline out) so we might try it although the vet Misty sees is the one who takes the difficult patients and not the one that does the acupuncture.
    Aren't we comfortable!

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Poor Misty, it is too bad when these sweet animals start to hurt. Sounds like this poor girl had problems with her leg all her life. I hope you find the answers. 8 is not old enough for this sadness.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I can only offer good thoughts and a prayer. You're doing everything you can for her...wish you blessings that she can be helped.! She sounds like a real sweatheart.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Misty!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

At age 8, maybe Misty can learn to adopt a sedentary life style a few years sooner than old age.
    Prayers and well wishes for Misty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast