Bizarre (and scary) reaction on Christmas eve

Thread: Bizarre (and scary) reaction on Christmas eve

lilypi is offline Senior Member

DefaultBizarre (and scary) reaction on Christmas eve

I hope that everyone is having a great Christmas! It just started to snow here in RI, which is Santa's magic at work in my opinion. Anyway, last night we hosted a Christmas Eve party...I would say about thirty people were here at the height. Maddox was the star of the party, and a great host...he politely greeted everyone at the door, he made the socialization rotation all night - neglecting nobody. Not a bark out of him, just perfect social graces...that is until my cousin Timmy showed up. Older (than us) guy, probably in his early 50's...he's my father's cousin. Definitely NOT a shady character, genuinely nice family man. Maddox FREAKED. He ran over barking ferociously, crouched low to the ground, ears back, and let out a moderate pee. Timmy tried to greet him submissively, let him sniff his hands, Maddox just continued to bark and cower, until he eventually slinked past Timmy and went to another room. He stopped barking at that point, but pointedly avoided Timmy for the rest of the evening. He was FINE with Timmy's wife, when they weren't standing together. I have never seen this sort of behavior from Maddox before, and his previous owners didn't indicate any stranger aversion. Any ideas about this? The only thing that I could think of was that Timmy has had aggressive cancer treatment in the past...I wondered if it's something to do with radiation? He said that most large dogs react to him this way.
    Laura & Maddox

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

morla is offline Senior Member

Oh I love the snow! Merry Christmas!
    SIMON

amazongold is offline Senior Member

There may be a smell that Timmy has from the radiation that Maddox picked up. Dogs will react strangely even to other family dogs that have been at the vet and come home with 'medicinal' smells on them.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

He was a rescue right? Do you know his back round? It reminds me of how Tank acts around some of my uncles and family friends. Some of them are built like Tank's ex-owner is and it just makes him FREAK! I also agree with jackie that it could be the smell. When my great grandma was fighting cancer(which she sadly lost to) was getting all the medicines and things my grandpa(so her son's dog) would not go near her.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

lilypi is offline Senior Member

he's more of a re-homed dog than a rescue. he has no history of abuse, just a family who outgrew him...some people just have different priorities i guess. he's been fine around people of all shapes and sizes, and there is nothing remarkable about my cousin's appearance...he has a big beard, but several family members do, including my husband. it's interesting that your relative's dog avoided him..i bet it is related to the cancer treatment somehow.
    Laura & Maddox

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

The poor guy, it's too bad that dogs are afraid of him. Must be some scent he has.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I was watching a news program the other day about cancer sniffing dogs. In the program, it told of how dogs can literally sniff out cancer. There were women that said their dogs "smelled" breast cancer. One lady went to the doctor after her dog acted so strangely around her and was pawing at her breast. She had cancer they found out. There were many cases of this. I wonder if Maddox smelled or sensed the cancer??
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye